GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

My hummer h2 wont shift out of park mode. 2005. It happened…

Customer Question
My hummer h2 wont...

My hummer h2 wont shift out of park mode

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?

No

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your H2?

2005

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your H2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

It happened which it was parked on a slight slope ( with tire turned to one side a bit) I tried ignition on off , turning steering, pushing the car, pressing the front/back wheel traction control

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: GM
9/25/2017
GM Mechanic: FIXITMAN, Master Technician replied 10 months ago
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician

Hello, my name is***** the shifter move and the vehicle not come out of park or can you not move the shifter?

Cannot move shifter
I am not at my car right now ( it is few miles away). If u want me to try few things, while u r on the call, I will be there tomm evening

If the shifter will not move then start by checking to see if the brake lights work. The shifter will remain locked unless the system detects that the brake pedal is applied. If the brake lights work then listen closely to see if you hear a clicking from the shifter when applying the brakes. If you do not and if the brake lights work then the shift lock solenoid may be bad. If that is functioning fine then the parking pawl inside of the transmission may be stuck. If this is the case the vehicle will have to be pushed back and forth while trying to move the shfiter in hopes that it will come loose. In some cases the pawl gets locked and the transmission needs to be taken apart to release it.