GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

I have a fuel leak in my 1990 GMC Jimmy but only when the…

I have a fuel...

I have a fuel leak in my 1990 GMC Jimmy but only when the tank is filled. Nopressure on the fuel tank.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you actually see the leak?

No. The top of the tank is OK amd clean. It dumps a gal of gas or so on the ground of I fill the tank.mLeak in some where in the middle of the vehicle along the passenger side frame.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Jimmy yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes however I am at a stopping point because I can't get my bigbody under the car to inspect.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No except no pressure on fuel system ie no whoosh when you open the gasstank cap

9/19/2017
Gunvir Singh

Hello, let me review your request. Please stand by.

Do you notice the fuel leak while gas has been filled or after gas fill up?

the filling station attendant noticed it just after the fill up. I bought the vehicle in Ky 300 miles away and brought it 300 miles home. As long as I keep the tank below full no leak. But srong smell of gasand no pressure on tank. No whoosh when pressure released by removing the gas cap.
No I can handle the typing and have a notepad ready.
My wife was following me as I drove home and reported there was smoke or vapor coming out of the middle of the passenger side down low as I went on and attempted to run as much fuel as possible out of the tank. The 4.3 L V-6 idles and runs fine but the service engine light is on.
This is a particularly fine vehicle with perfect body and paint. The smell of gas dies down as I keep the gas tank only 1/2 full, yet lousy gas millage with no pressure on the gas tank.
I already paid $26 for this why pay $26 more for a phone call?

Since the noise is strong when tank is full that points towrds a fuel pump oring leaking or crack in the fuel pump cover non top of the tank

No need to call, ignore the pop up.

Its not making excessive noise but jus in case I bought another fuel yank with sending unit and pump
Is a crack in that place common for onr of there plastic gas ranks?

The crack is usually at the fuel pump cover not the tank . Yes, the crack is common as the plastic deteriorates and starts leaking.

The fuel leak seems to be coming from the middle of the vehicle on the pasenger side ass all the hose run to the front up the right had frame rail.
It there a repair adhesive that is impervious to gasoline?

Dependening on the size of the leak there is a tank sealant putty available at part stores that can seal gas leaks.

The cost for my mechanic to drop that tank is definitely prohibitive.

Calls for 2.5 hours labor, so approx 200-250$

Is the O ring sold separately?
I can get that light plastic tank down and have the hise connection release tool, but it a no brasiner not to even try if I have to replace if I cannot get the o ring. I guess I'll check out the spare yank from a salvage yard with andf ohm meter for the float level resistor and connect 12 volts to the pump then swap the ysnks.
Thank you

You can get the oring seperate froma part store.

You're welcome and good luck with your vehicle, And please don’t forget to rate my performance in the upper left corner otherwise i don’t get compensated. Thank you and have a blessed day.

Gunvir Singh