eric remington
eric remington,
Experience:  mechanic/service advisor at topline auto
95415974

I'm posing this question to you because you helped me

John - I'm posing this question to you because you helped me relatively recently on an overheating problem I was having on this same car after I installed a new radiator. By the way, thank you very much for your help.The problem was that there was air in the cooling system ( Just like you said ). I squeezed the upper radiator hose with the reservoir cap off like you told me until the air bubbled up in the reservoir and the hose became hot, and that did the trick. I will add a bonus on this and that resolved issue when we're done here.The Current ProblemThe current problem is that I've been having a fast blinking and no blinking signal light problem for yrs now. The problem is intermittent. The signal light indicators inside the car blink really fast sometimes, sometimes normal, and the fronts and rears outside the car sometimes don't blink at all, sometimes they blink really fast, and sometimes they blink normally.The problem first started a couple years ago when I installed a new pair of plastic head lamps from A1 auto.com. When I first noticed the problem I immediately thought this was a bad bulb problem, so I replaced the bulbs, but the problem still persisted. I then thought the problem was the headlamps, so I sent them back to A1 auto for a new pair, installed them, and the problem still persisted.I then searched Google and quite a few people said the problem was linked to the hazard flasher switch in the center of the dash. So I replaced that and still the problem persisted. I even took it to a local guy who specializes in auto electrical in my area and the guy told me " I don't want to mess with that. Sounds like a real headache you got there "Now I'm at my wits end. What could the problem be? I'm thinking that maybe the next step could be to buy a new set of GM OEM headlamps online, since when I replaced the headlamps is when the problem started and am thinking that these after market headlamps have some resistance issues within the wiring.After that I was thinking about changing the muli-fuction signal light lever on the steering column. But I don't want to just go blowing more money and taking shots in the dark before checking with someone who knows what they're doing and has experience specifically with these cars.Sorry this was so lengthy. I wanted to be detailed as possible so you could properly diagnose the issue.Thanks.

Hi Im David, take the sockets out of the headlamp assemblies, switch the turn signal on, then start moving the wiring around to see if you can get them to mes up or not mess up. we will start there.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dave - Ok. I'll give that a try. Might not be til this week end though. Between work, sleep, and my commute to work I won't have time during the week day to fool around with that.

ok my friend, just let me know

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dave - I keep getting emails saying " Action required. Your response from the GM mechanic is waiting " Will I be Ok until I'm able to try what you recommended this weekend? Or will this eventually expire ?

you'll be fine.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dave - I had a chance to try what you recommended. No dice. I unplugged the turn single sockets on both sides while the turn signal lever was on while moving the socket wiring around. I also moved the socket wiring around going to the harness on the head lamp itself and the single lights in the front wouldn't blink, Just as they were when I first turned it on. The indicators inside were blinking really fast on both sides, and so were the rear signal lights on both sides. I also unplugged the bulbs and the socked looked like they were in good shape with no corrosion or soot from a short or sparking. Early this morning when I came home from work, both sides were working fine, now they're not.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That should have been signal, not single. I have a few spelling errors above there. I'm sure you know what i mean.

check G201. make sure its tight. if it is then the BCM needs scanned for codes. a generic code reader wont read "B"codes. it will needd done at a shop

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
G201. Is that a fuse? If so, where about is it located? Also, when you say I'll have to bring it to a shop. You mean a GM dealer?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Or are you talking about a ground wire?

yes

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The ground wires are all tight and look clean. No rust or corrosion.

ok, being that its acting the way it is, any shop with a high end scan tool or a tech 2 scan tool will be able to get into the BCM

hows it going?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have to find a place to get my car scanned. The service Department in the GM dealer in my area is only opened Monday through Friday. So I have to wait til Monday to see what they charge and make an appointment depending on what they charge for that. .

ok, well keep me updated, thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just wanted to let you know. I have an appointment at 3 pm on Friday to have it scanned/diagnosed. It's gonna be a $100 bucks. Is that what they usually charge for something like that?

yes, thats about the going diagnostic rate

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. Thanks. I'll get back to you after it's done.

ok

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Dave - Got my car back from the shop. They said there are no fault codes or fault code history. Like us, they checked the ground wires, connections, and sockets. They said they all looked good. They don't have a clue what the problem is. At the time they checked it the signal lights and everything was working fine. They didn't even charge me because they simply could not diagnose it or know what's wrong.

ok, well Im going to open this up to the other techs to chime in. Im out of ideas.

I​f all else fails and you don't mind spending 40 bucks and you can do it yourself you could always try a turn signal switch if all connections are good and you have changed all bulbs and sockets that's all that is left maybe a bcm but I doubt it put all new sockets in it and if that don't work put in a turn signal switch make sense? or you w***** *****ve with it or wait till it gets worse so you can diagnose it or just bite the bullet and put in the turn signal switch yourself?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Eric - You mean a turn signal level switch? ( I'm not sure what you technically call it ) Also, the problem started when I replaced the plastic headlight lamps. You don't think that's the problem? A part of me thinks that maybe because they're aftermarket buckets and not OEM that this might be the problem, but I'm not a tech, either. However, I priced OEM headlamps for this car from the dealer and they're like $500 for the pair, but If you think the turn signal switch/Lever is the problem, I'll give that a try. If that's what you're talking about.

I​f you changed the buckets try new sockets first...how often does it act up?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Eric - It's completely sporadic. It may go a whole day working fine, then at the end of the day act up. Or it might go back and forth between working normal, not at all, or blinking fast. There seems to be no pattern to it.
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Eric - Also, do they have just the wiring harnesses available for the buckets? Maybe I could try that, if they're available.

ok what you need to do is when it is acting up test the circuit to see if you are getting power to the affected socket does this happen o0n one side or both?

d​o you have a test light and or volt meter we can diagnosed this if it acts up that's not a problem that is what I'm here for :)

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
It happens on both sides. However, there is never a time when there is no power, because the bulb is always lit. It may not be flashing, or flashing fast or normal, but at no time is it not lit. No, I don't have a test light or volt meter. Besides, they did all that at the dealership today.

w​hT AOUT THE FLASHER UNIT ITSELF HAS THAT BEEN REPLACED

C​ALL UP YOU LOCAL PARTS STORE AND SAY YOU WANT A TURN SIGNAL FLASHER FOR YOUR VEHICLE

I​TS ONLY THE TURN SIGNALS THAT DONT WORK WHEN THEY ACT UP? DOES THE HAZARDS WORK FINE WHEN THE TURN SIGNALS ACT UP...IF SO IT COULD VBE A TURN SIGNAL FLASHER

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Eric - . On the 2004 Malibu LS the turn signal flasher unit and the Hazard flasher are one unit. and Yes, I have replaced it.

ok what we need to do is when it acts up find the problem socket and ck it for power and ground. will you be using a meter or test light?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Which is better? I'll have to purchase one. By the way. All day everything was working fine. I went to the dealer and the guy check the car and I think he thought I was nuts. He's like " I couldn't find anything wrong " He checked the codes, tested the wiring, looked at the sockets. Then towards the end of the day it started acting up with both turn indicators blinking fast. Then I just went out a few minutes ago and checked everything. e.g. Hazards, turn signals, front and back signal lights, etc.. and everything was working completely normal. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason or pattern. It's just completely sporadic, like I said. I'm not a certified GM tech, but I've been working on cars for over 30 yrs. I've never seen anything like it. I've gone online before I started talking to you guys and I guess these model Malibus 04 through 07 are notorious for this problem, but no one seems to have any good answers.

so the left and right turn signals act up same time or the front and back?

I​f both left and right act up same time I would put in a new switch...if its just one side then either you have a wiring problem socket failure or a defective bulb...

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Eric - All different combinations. Sometimes the right will be fine and the left acting up, or vice versa. Sometimes the front's won't blink but the rears will blink really fast, and sometimes the fronts will blink, but really fast. This is why I say there seems to be no specific pattern to try and isolate the problem.. It's crazy.

ulletin No.: 06-08-42-004C

Date: August 28, 2007

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Front Park/Turn/DRL or Rear Stop/Turn/Tail Lamp Inoperative (Replace Bulb and Inspect Socket)

Models:
2004-2006 Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised with updated information about splicing wires together on one of the replacement bulb sockets. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-08-42-004B (Section 08 - Body & Accessories).

Condition

Some customers may comment that the front park/turn/DRL or rear stop/turn/tail lamp is inoperative.

Correction

DO NOT REPLACE THE HEADLAMP OR TAIL LAMP ASSEMBLY.

Replace the bulb and inspect the socket. If the socket is discolored, replace the socket following the procedures below.

Front Park/Turn/DRL Lamp

Remove the lamp assembly, then remove the bulb. Refer to Headlamp Assembly or Headlamp Bulb and/or Cornering, Sidemarker, Park, Turn Signal Bulb Replacement in SI.

Inspect the socket.

If the socket is NOT discolored or damaged, replace the bulb only with Osram 3157 LCP bulb, P/N 13502322.

If the socket is discolored at the bulb interface, replace the socket and bulb.

Use only Duraseal splice sleeves (salmon, P/N 12089189). Other splice sleeves may not protect the splice from moisture or provide a good electrical connection. Refer to Splicing Copper Wire Using Splice Sleeves in SI for splicing procedures.

Cut the wires of the park/turn/DRL socket approximately 45 mm (1-3/4 in) from the socket and splice in the replacement socket, P/N 15945363. Twist the two black wires from the vehicles wiring harness together and splice them with the single black wire on the replacement bulb socket. Ensure that the splice is not above the socket when re-installing.

Replace the bulb with Osram 3157 LCP bulb, P/N 13502322.

Verify that the front park/turn/DRL lamp is fully functional.

Rear Stop/Turn/Tail Lamp

Remove the lamp assembly, then remove the lower bulb (stop/turn/tail). Refer to Tail Lamp Assembly and/or Backup, Sidemarker, Stop, Turn Signal Bulb Replacement in SI.

Inspect the socket.

If the socket is NOT discolored or damaged, replace the bulb only with Osram 3057 LCP bulb, P/N 15883346.

Cut the wires of the stop/turn/tail socket approximately 45 mm (1-3/4 in) from the socket and splice in the replacement socket (P/N 15873724 for Malibu sedans or P/N 15873725 for Malibu Maxx vehicles).

Replace the bulb with Osram 3057 LCP bulb, P/N 15883346.

Remove the upper bulb (auxiliary tail lamp), if needed, and inspect the auxiliary tail lamp socket for discoloration. If the auxiliary tail lamp socket has discoloration, install new socket, P/N 15876348.

Verify that the rear stop/turn/tail lamp is fully functional.

Parts Information

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table.

Disclaimer

© 2017 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
The bulbs are fine. I changed them all on numerous occasions.

h​ere is a general motors technical service bulletin that I just sent

y​ou may be having issues with the sockets also the ground circuits for the sockets. I would replace the sockets make sure the bulbs match the brand name osram as noted here as well. this would be a good place to start

Erratic Electrical Component Operation

Bulletin No.: 04-08-45-009

Date: September 02, 2004

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Various Electrical Concerns - Intermittently Functioning or Inoperative Component (Repair Wire Harness)

Models:
2004 Chevrolet Malibu

Condition

Some customers may comment on one of the effects and/or driver notifications shown.

Not all of the effects or driver notifications listed above have been experienced. However, the different effects and driver notifications may be caused by one of the wires in the body harness being chafed or cut. Components on different lines in the list above are in different circuits. Due to the cause of the condition, and the positions of the wires in the body harness, it is unlikely that more than one circuit will be affected by the condition.

Cause

The condition may be caused by one of the wires in the body harness being chafed or cut on a sheet metal edge in the trunk just forward of the rear fuse block.

Correction

Repair the affected wire. Inspect other wires in the bundle for chafes and repair if needed. Refer to Wire Repair in the Wiring System sub-section of the Service Manual. Cover the sheet metal edges adjacent to the wires with conduit, a split piece of vacuum hose, tape or other suitable material to prevent the wiring from chaffing through again.

Warranty Information

I​ntermittent problems are tough... but if you have one sockets bulbs not working ck the ground and power at the socket if its there and not working replace the socket if no power is there then maybe its a turn signal switch issue...its mostly turn signals is it ?

If the ground is missing ck the wire back to the place of ground its origin...Please do rate me as I'm compensated that way...Also if yu can get it to act up you could take it back to the guy at the dealer and say here....so tell him youll be stopping back in...or if you want me to show you how to ck with meter or test light let me know butr please rate me. thanks

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Eric - One more thing I wanted to mention that I mentioned to Dave. When I first purchased the headlamps and this problem started, Immediately I assumed the problem was the head lamps. So I called the company, told them what the problem was, and that they hadn't had any problems from other customers. So they told me to send them back and they'd either give me my money back or send me a new pair. Well, stupid me, I threw the old pair out. I only live in a small apartment complex and don't have room to keep that kinda crap around, so I opted to have them send me a new pair. They sent me a new pair, I installed them, and same exact problem.
Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Eric - I'm just a truck driver and I know what it's like to work for a living. So I'll be sure and rate you. I just need to get this thing working because at the end of this month the inspection expires and here in NY it's a $100 ticket now that the state started adding surcharges.

ok I will stick with you till its fixed....as soon as it acts up lets go the socket and check for power and ground do you know how to do that?

are they special headlights do turn signals hook into the headlight body?

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
No, they're not special. They're the same as the one's I took out. One plug plugs into a larger harness running the whole headlight, signal light assembly. Then the harness in the headlamp has individual plugs going to high beam, low beam and the signal lights and parking lights. In regards ***** ***** question above. Yes, the turn signals are the only thing I'm having problems with. I know how to check for power, ground, not so much.

I​f you are looking for ground with a test light hook up the clip end to positive and the pointy end will be able to get ground...if using a volt meter have the pos lead hooked to batt pos. and the neg lead to the ground wire...let me know if you need help just need it to act up...which t/signals are acting up left rear and rf?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Eric - All of them act up. The front and rear on both sides, but in different combinations. Sometimes only one side will blink fast or not at all, while the other side blinks normally. Sometimes both sides will blink fast or not at all, or sometimes both sides will blink normally. Sometimes when the indicators on the inside of the car are blinking really fast, you go outside and the fronts aren't blinking at all, but the indicators seem to suggest they are.

If we can figure out if you are lacking power or ground when it acts up we can figure this out next time it acts up test the circuit and let me know if you need assistance

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Eric - I bought a test light and was able to get it to act up ( Blink really fast ) I pulled the bulb from the socket and there's no power going to the socket. I then hooked the test light to the positive side of the battery and tested the ground in the socket. The ground is good. The rear tail light was blinking really fast the whole time.

schematic

that schematic did not come out well

should be better

the turn signals feed into the bcm then go to the exterior lights so either the bcm is bad or the turn signal switch...do you want help diagnosis this a phone call would be good or you can follow schematic and see if the multifunction switch is suppling the ts inpjut to bcm then is there an out put to the wires that feed actual lights

at the socket are you checking where the bult goes into socket or the wire that goes into socket

your next step is to ck at the bcm for dark green and dark blue output wires for ts signal signals....make sense look at schematic

if no output then ck input to bcm from ts switch make sense? let me know if you need help

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
this makes sense. You want me to get it to act up and then check the dark green and dark blue output wires coming out of the BCM to see if the multifuction switch is sending them a signal. Correct?
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I was checking where the bulb goes into the socket. It should have been making a good connection. The socket was very clean. and the wires on the socket appeared tight and intact.

YES AND TO SEE IF BCM IS WORKING IF NOT CK THE WIRES GOING INTO BCM

U NEED TO CK WHERE THE WIRE GOES INTO SOCKET BECAUSE PROBLEM COULD BE IN SOCKET RULE THAT OUT

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
OK. I'll check the wire going into the socket.

YES IF U STILL HAVE NO POWER THERE CK THE OUTPUT OF THE BCM AND IF THAT IS A NO THEN CK THE INPUT INTO BCM FROM THE TS SWITCH...ITS ALL IN THE DIAGRAM ...LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED ANY HELP

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Ok. Thanks. It's dark out now so it probably won't be today. This is the most progress I've ever made on this problem in the over three years I've owned this car and I actually have hope it might gt fixed this time, or at least, I'll find out what's going on. Don't worry. I'll make it worth your time and I appreciate you taking the time. I'll make sure I rate you and add a bonus at the end here. Heck, I was gonna pay a dealership $100 bucks just to diagnose it, I can throw you some extra.

STICK WITH ME AND WE WILL LICK THIS PROBLEM...HAVE FIXED MANY A CAR

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Eric - I got an email to rate your service. If I rate your service, Is that it? I get charged and can no longer receive advice? I haven't had a chance to check the wire going into the socket and the BCM input and output wires like you said.

no take your time

it matters not when you rate we can keep this post open as long as necessary whether you rate me now or later I just put the request because if I forget no one gets to rate me has happened a few times to me

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Eric - I checked the wires going into the socket for the turn signal and also the wires for the socket going into the power supply for the headlamp assembly with the turn signal on and messing up, and there's no power. So next step is to check the BCM input and output wires. What is the best way to check these with my test light? The wires are really tiny. Should I pierce the insulation of the wire with the point of my test light? Or is there another way?
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
By the way. It looks like it's going to be a pain in the butt. There are a million wires and they're all in a bundle wrapped tight with tape. It's kinda hard to see what is what.

c​an u see the schematic I sent you? the wires are color coded

I​f you have input into the bcm but no output then its a bad pcm. the input may be a ground and out put battery positive I would have to look at schematic again do you need help with any ofg that which wires to check and to ck for power or ground let me know. but if you study schematics u may be able to tell .let me know if you need any assistance with that

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Eric - I think I can probably find the wires, it's just going to be pain,( I was just thinking out loud ) I understand i need to check the input and output wires and why I need to do that, but once again. Is the best way to do this by piercing the insulation of the wire with the point of my test light? or is there another way? I can't image any other way, unless I strip away the wire with a razor or something, but that doesn't sound like a good idea. Also, when I test the wires. If they are good with the signal light on, should the test light flash like the signal light? Or will it be solid?

y​ou can pierce the wires just make sure you reinsulate. you can also back probe they make a special pin type of a tool you can hook up your meter that is nice to have

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Eric- . Now that you mention that I vaguely remember seeing that tool on the shelf when purchasing my test light. That will be very helpful here. Thanks.

k

eric remington,
Experience: mechanic/service advisor at topline auto
Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Eric - I haven't had a chance to check the input and output wires going into the BCM yet. I"m having trouble finding probes small enough for these tiny wires, but I wanted to run something by you that I've noticed. When the signal lights are messing up. If I turn the ignition switch off and back on, many times they start working normally. Also, sometimes when starting the car I turn the ignition switch and release it, but the car starter keeps cranking. I mention this because i read somewhere this could cause my type of problem. I'm going to probe the wires like you said, but I just wanted to run this by you to see what you thought about it.