GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

Trying to use a tech 2 on my 2006 Chevy equinox and it asked…

Customer Question
Trying to use a...

Trying to use a tech 2 on my 2006 Chevy equinox and it asked me the letter designation and nothing works! Any ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Equinox yourself? What have you tried so far?

Need to reset passcode witch is stopping me from starting the car replaced ignition lock and housing

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes to both

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No communication with the car from the tech 2

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: GM
9/11/2017
GM Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 11 months ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help,

For your Equinox it is the fourth digit of the vin. If that does not work try the third, the third is for cars.

This is a can vehicle I believe so you need the CANdi module to put inline with the tech 2 and for passcodes you need security access which you can get a three day subscription from GM for $55 to enable security features. That requires a computer running Windows 7 and a 9 pin to USB converter for the cable connection.

Please let me know what further questions you have.

Ok thanks for your help. What does GM charge to reprogram the BCM?

You reprogram it with your Tech 2 but if you are asking what a dealer charges it is usually 1 hour labor if there are no problems such as a used module, a fried module, something in the vehicle's communication system that prevents communication.

An hour of dealer time is $120 - $145 depending on where you live.

Please let me know if you have further questions, if nothing further please complete the rating

Thanks

Ok thanks

Thank you, ***** ***** and let me know if you have questions in the future

Ok will do...

Great, please complete the rating so your question can be closed.

Thank you