GM

GM Repair Problems? Ask GM Repair Expert Now.

GM

I have a 2002 Yukon 5.3 Flex engine just drove from boston

I have a 2002 Yukon...
I have a 2002 Yukon 5.3 Flex engine just drove from boston to Chicago half way the instrument cluster started flickering the tach and speedometer needles started bouncing back and forth shorting out the system and rebooting itself after every little bump it progressively got worse the fuel gauge and prndl started doing the same got to Chicago it went dead after a couple days had a car parts store run diagnostics on battery as soon as it started acting up everything with the battery was ok alternator and starter working battery was at 675 cca of an 800cca battery a little low but load test was normal engine running and off but now that cluster is totally not working the battery was completely dead
JA: How old is the battery? And have you tested it with a voltmeter?
Customer: less than a year new battery autozone and advanced autoparts both tested entire sytem everything was ok battery ,alternator and starter and load test
JA: Are you fixing your Yukon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I tried 2 beat up u pick part in junk yards neither worked then ordered a tested replacement cluster online should be here by wednesday
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I would like to know if the cluster is dead or while unplugged would that cause the battery to go dead
8/21/2017
Gary
Gary, GMC Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

yes a bad cluster can kill the battery

leave it unplugged and see if it still kills the battery next

if it doesnt its bad

now with a dead cluster its usually the cluster itself or a bad ignition switch all day long that will cause these issues

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

I'm recharging battery currently and have unplugged old cluster waiting for a warranted tested replacement from the instrument cluster store.com shoul be here Tuesday or Wednesday will let you know then when I plug it in

ok if it still doesnt work replace the ignition switch

Gary
Gary, GMC Technician
just so you know vehicle was starting fine even when the cluster first started acting up even when I unplugged it and even when all the gauges went out not sure why battery was dead this morning but I will keep you updated as soon as I replace the cluster

ok but the issue with the ignition switch is it only not powering one leg of power and its usually to the gauge cluster

Gary
Gary
Gary, GMC Technician