GM

GM Repair Problems? Ask GM Repair Expert Now.

GM

I have 2008 Hummer H3 inline 5. Starting problems.

I have 2008 Hummer H3...
I have 2008 Hummer H3 inline 5.
Starting problems.
periodically the car will not start. After waiting 15 to 30 minutes and trying to start the car it catching and starts.All electrical is working; dash board, radio, lights, windows and horn are all working when car is dead. Went to dealership and had the following repairs done.
1. Replaced battery
2. Replaced fuse block asst.
3. Replaced body control module and program.
4. Replace ignition lock cylinder housing. Relearn theft deterrent module.The program of the car; still not starting exist, sometimes.
the dealership still doesn't know what the problem is.
8/20/2017
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi,I'm Ron and i will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

They need to attach a data logger to the computer system to catch this dilemma. This tool attaches to the computer system connectors and constantly records ALL the computer's data and log it for up to 40 hours. When the problem occurs, it is automatically saved in the tool. Then the dealer removes it and reads the data, then presto, problem found after they plug it into their computer. I've been doing this type of diagnostics for intermittent problems for years.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks again, Ron

When I take it to the dealership, of course the problem never happens. the dealership even had one of there techs take the car home and it still didn't do it.
How do I handle that?
the answer you gave me I already new. What other options do I have?

Are you saying that you already knew about data loggers? really?

Then just have them put this tool on the connector and let it happen to you again. It will still get recorded and you just drive back to them so they can extract the information. I know it's a pain, but it's what will find what is wrong, unless the service manager is willing to drive your car to work and home until it does it.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
I new they had a data logger but I didn't know it was portable or even if they will give it to me to use until this happens again.
this doesn't always happen within 40 hours. We can go weeks before it happens again.
hello Ron, you still with me!
hello
I gave you a 5 star rate and still haven't answered my questions.

Will be back in o e hour, on a service call. Sorry.

Thanks

Okay, I'm back. What was the question I missed, I don't see it.

There are no other ideas for such an intermittent issue like this, plus the data logger keeps running even after 40 hours of driving, it just rolls over the data. I'm sorry this is such a problem, but there isn't anything I can do to make it happen sooner than that. i gave you the absolute best way to find this. Let me know if you need anything else, and I'm sorry for the wait.

Thanks again, Ron

Also, a data logger is smaller than a pack of cigarettes and you can't even see it when it's plugged in.

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor