sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

I've got a 2005 hummer h2 and it's VERY sluggish pulling

Customer Question

I've got a 2005 hummer h2 and it's VERY sluggish pulling out. It feels like trying to pull out from 2nd or 3rd gear. It will eventually upshift after picking up speed, but then it's not always shifting into that last gear. It sometimes behaves normally, but then will revert to this weird shifting issue for a few days. It seems to be getting worse.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: Sorry my phone rang and it cut us off.
JA: Are you fixing your H2 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm trying to fix it myself first. I used to run a tire garage so I'm a fair mechanic. I just started encountering this problem last week, and I travel for work so I'm just now looking into the problem. I haven't tried very much, but I did find out that if I try to manually shift it from 1-3, it gets stuck at 2nd gear, and the connector cable that connects at the transmission pops off.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope that's about it.
Category: GM
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if your transmission is going into limp in. Limp in can happen for literally dozens of reasons but it sounds as if you may have an issue with an electrical connector coming off at the trans. That would explain the trans not shifting.

Can you upload a picture of what is coming off?