FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified
1627031

My 2004 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax Diesel 4x4 6.6L acts like

Customer Question

My 2004 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax Diesel 4x4 6.6L acts like it is stuck in park, but if I turn off the engine and restart it a few times then it goes into gear easily? Also after starting it will run for 30 seconds or so and then stalls if I don't press the fuel pedal at all it dies
JA: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?
Customer: yes I have brake lights
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: L
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: GM
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** the vehicle act like it is stuck in park will the shifter move at all or is that what is stuck in park? Is the check engine light on when the engine is running?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No the shifter won't move at all so I guess it is basically stuck in park, but if I turn off the vehicle once or twice then it will go into gear easily? And the check engine light turns on momentarily when first started but no its not on when the engine is running. Also if the vehicle is cold and or hasn't been started/driven for a few days, I actually have to pop the hood and push the primer on top of the Fuel Filter Housing until It gets hard to push, or it won't start
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 9 months ago.

These sound like two different issues. The shifter not moving is an issue with the shift interlock system. If the brake lights are working when the problem is occurring then the brake switch should be fine. If th brake lights are not working when this is occurring then the brake switch is the problem. If the brake lights are working then most of the time the issue is in the interlock solenoid in the column. You would need to diagnose the circuit to be able to tell for sure what is causing this. As for the starting issue, most of the time this is caused by a leak in the fuel filter housing or a problem with the fuel rail relief valve. Did you plan on fixing this yourself?