Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care
93804480

I have a 2005 GMC sierra. The other day the power locks quit

Customer Question

I have a 2005 GMC sierra. The other day the power locks quit working, the truck started but died right away. I hooked up some jumper cables to my wife's car thinking it was the battery. Well it started right up and now the locks work fine, but the radio doesn't work now. I checked all the fuses and they all seem good, any idea on what might be wrong?
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?
Customer: Yes, I checked both boxes
JA: Are you fixing your Sierra yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I bought a new battery, checked whatever grounds I know about
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It's a aftermarket stereo system that was in the truck before I bought it
Category: GM
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 10 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you

When this problem happened, were there any warning lights or other symptoms that occurred?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The battery died because I was working on one of the headrest monitors, after I charged up the battery, that's when the problem began

Gotcha, and I assume that the headrest monitors are connected directly to the stereo?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They're connected to a little black box under the drivers seat, and it all looks like after market stuff. And then there are a couple wires that run under the seats to power that stuff.

Great, thank you! If you have checked all the fuses in both fuse boxes already then the next most likely step would be to check the stereo itself. Many aftermarket stereo systems utilize an extra main fuse located directly on the back of the unit. It is usually very easy to locate once you pull out the head unit and is most likely directly beside the main connector on the back.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yup, checked that. It's good still

Yikes! That will make this a bit more difficult...do you have a multimeter or a test light that could be used to test the system's wiring?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No I don't.

In order to continue, I am afraid we will need to begin checking for the presence of power at several different places. In order to do this, you will need one of those tools. However, before you go out and buy one, I want to make sure that you have definitely double checked all the fuses under the hood and under the dash...

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'll go through them all again, are there any specific ones I should look at?

Give me a moment to check some of the fuses and see if there are any odd ball ones that could be suspect...

what engine do you have in your truck?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
5.3 LM7

Great, thanks. I'll be right back with you

Ok, the two fuses that are involved in radio operation are labeled "radio" and "info", both of them are 15 amp fuses and both are located in the underhood fuse box. I strongly suggest that you check all fuses, not just these two. I also suggest that you take another 15 amp fuse from something like a headlight or elsewhere to replace the radio fuse and try to eliminate it as a possibility.

*I wish you good luck and hope that you can get this done quickly and cheaply! Happy Thanksgiving!

*Please remember to take a moment and rate my service using the star rating system at the top

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thank you, I'll let you know what I find.

That's great, thanks so much! Good luck and remember to leave this box open after you rate my answer so that you can come back and let me know your progress

Hi, this is Josh checking in on your progress. . .