GM

GM Repair Problems? Ask GM Repair Expert Now.

GM

I have two northstar engine's, I know for a fact that they

Customer Question
are the same but can...
I have two northstar engine's, I know for a fact that they are the same but can in some way make it work? If I manage to install the cam and Crankshaft sensors from one engine to the other will it work?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: GM
10/15/2016
GM Mechanic: tim's auto repair, mechanic replied 1 year ago
tim's auto repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

please explain your question

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I need to know if there is any way possible to install a 02 northstar 4.6L engine in a 1999?

give me just a moment

what car are you putting it in?

what kind of cadilac is the engine going in?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

1999 cadillac STS 4.6I. the camshaft and Crankshaft sensors are different that I know

im not showing these engines as interchachable

but you should be able to put your crank and cam sensors in the 02 and it should work..

the engines are basically the same

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

The 99 is two wire sensor and the 02 is 3 wire, can I make the 3 wire sensor work if I cut one wire? Or I have to change the sensors from the year type I will used?

change the sensors,,

\use the ones from your 99

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Ok

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I will try to make them fit but the hole where they go in is bigger plus the cam sprocket is different. I will need to see if the crackshaft is different as well.

if that is the case..

i wouldnt think you can get it to work correctly

you may want to try to find the correct engine

again,,i am showing it not to interchange

tim's auto repair
tim's auto repair
tim's auto repair, mechanic