GM

GM Repair Problems? Ask GM Repair Expert Now.

GM

I have a 2005 GMC Yukon Denali. When turning the steering

Customer Question
I have a 2005 GMC...
I have a 2005 GMC Yukon Denali. When turning the steering wheel either fully to the right or fully to the left, there is an electrical "clicking" noise when the wheel reaches the end of its travel. Sounds odd, and seems to have started in just the last month or so.
JA: Do you have power steering? Have you checked the power steering fluid?
Customer: I also randomly have the traction control activate when making sharp turns, even on dry pavement. Hear the system turn on/off somewhere in the middle of the vehicle. Wondering if the two issues could be connected, and if I have a wheel sensor or steering position sensor that could be causing the problems. Yes, power steering, but fluid is fine. Seems to be an electrical issue, not mechanical.
JA: Are you fixing your Yukon Denali yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Haven't tried anything yet. Just trying to figure out where to start. Would like to fix myself.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so. I guess I did have the power steering pump replaced about 6 months ago. not sure if that is relevant.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: GM
10/13/2016
GM Mechanic: Cary York,
 replied 1 year ago
Cary York

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Please understand that I can't smell, hear, or touch the vehicle, so patience is appreciated. Before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating..

Is it 2WD or 4WD? Also need engine size.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Its a Denali, so it is AWD with a 6.0 liter engine.
GM Mechanic: Cary York,
 replied 1 year ago

I do not have any info on that problem. I will opt out so another expert can help.

GM Mechanic: GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help.

When you turn the wheel are you pushing on the brakes?

Have you had the code checked for the traction light?

I think you have a ABS problem. When you turn the wheel one of the front sensor harness is going bad.

Causing the ABS to become active.

If you unplug one of the front sensors. This cause a ABS light and disabling the system.

You will have normal brakes. Test drive see if the problem is Gone.

Please check for codes before you set more codes.

Please get back with me

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked for codes the other day using an OBD2 scanner the other day and nothing came up. I also don't have any lights coming on indicating the system is malfunctioning. Any thoughts on what may be causing the clicking sound at the end of the steering wheel travel? Almost sounds like a switch short circuiting but electrically everything seems to be working.

The scanner you used can it read abs traction control data?

When it makes the noise ARE YOU MOVING?

Can you video the noise and post it here or on YouTube?

GM Bob
GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician