GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

I have a Silverado 2001 6cly and the Hot Transmission light…

Customer Question
I have a Silverado...

I have a Silverado 2001 6cly and the Hot Transmission light came on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the transmission fluid?

Doing it right now

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

My son borrowed it and now it is tell him this and it says it is in limp home mode I checked the Water level in the Radiator just make sure and it seems full.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just the truck is like a hour and half from home and I would like to get it home to fix it

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: GM
9/23/2016
GM Mechanic: EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician

Hi. If the codes are cleared from the ecu then the truck should come out of limp mode. You need a scanner to clear the codes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK but what caused it to come on?

Likely if the transmission is running hot. Perhaps from a plugged cooler, or if the vehicle has been driven at higher speeds with the overdrive off. A faulty shift solenoid can cause limp mode as well. Also a concern with the throttle body can cause limp mode. But with the trans temp message, it is likely from that.

I have seen problems with the trans temp sensor as well on those.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The Transmission Slips at times just going down the interstate, it has 202,000 miles on it I just figured it was getting old, does all of this fit together causing the same problem; Slipping and the over heating?

Yeah that makes sense.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is there a way to bypass this sensor so we can get it home
It is only going 40 miles an hour

There is not. There also may be other slippage or shift codes in the computer that are also putting it into a limp mode. It is not just temp related. Best thing is to get the codes cleared and drive it easy for a while.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We put the scanner on it and it does not show any codes????

It may not actually be in limp mode then. When in limp mode the check engine light will be on. The transmission just might actually be slipping so bad that it wont move fast and is overheating.

Sounds like the trans finally let go.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What transmission is in the 2001 Silverado LS Extended Cab with a 6cyl?

It is a 4L60-e

Thank you for letting me assist you. Do you have any more questions on this?

Let me know if you have any more questions. Please rate my assistance and then bookmark this page to come back if you have further questions. Thanks.

What is the outcome with your truck?

Please rate the assistance provided to help close out this question if you are all set. Thanks.

Thanks for letting me assist you. Unless you have any more questions on this, rate the service provided to help close out the question. Thank you.

HI. Any reason you are not rating this question so we can close it out?