FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified
1627031

I have a 1984 GMC Vandura 2500 that will not pass smog in CA

Customer Question

I have a 1984 GMC Vandura 2500 that will not pass smog in CA due to running too rich. I am told that I need an air injection valve. Can you tell me where I can acquire one? Thanks for your help.
JA: What specifically didn't pass the test? When was your last oil change?
Customer: Last oil change was May 2016, Less than 3K miles. Don't know enough about the smog stuff to say what specifically didn't pass the test. Can you tell me exactly what I need to ask the mechanic on Monday, Sept. 19th.
JA: Are you fixing your Vandura 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am not trying to fix it myself. Not sure what the mechanic has tried so far for him to conclude that it needs an air injection valve. FYI, about a year ago I had the carburetor rebuilt and a valve job done. Prior to that the van had always passed smog. Could these two repairs be contributing to my current problem?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so.
Category: GM
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you tell me how the vehicle is actually running?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The vehicle seems to actually be running ok. However, it won't pass smog so I can't drive it.

Thank you. A rich condition is typically caused by too much fuel or not enough air. The most common cause of this is a dirty air filter. If the air filter is fine then it may just be getting too much fuel. Do you know if this is a fuel injected or carb model?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is a carb model which was rebuilt about a year ago.

Thank you. I would definitely check the air filter. If the air filter is fine then it more than likely just needs to have the carb mixture adjusted.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. Is that it? You do not see the air injector valve being an issue?

The air injection valve can be an issue, but that will typically affect NOX emissions also, but not always. If the air pump is bad or the diverter valve were bad then that would cause it, but if it was just the air injection valve that would usually cause a backfire also.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok. Will pass this info on. Thanks

No problem. If you need any further help please let me know. Otherwise have a great rest of your night.