kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

2004 chevy colorado stoped shifting from 2nd to 3rd shifted

Customer Question

2004 chevy colorado stoped shifting from 2nd to 3rd shifted pretty hard before but now wont shift ar all. Fluids are all good.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: Nothing leaking at all
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes i am. I have not tried anything yet.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I got a code u1026 u1000 u1064
Category: GM
Expert:  kalamykid replied 11 months ago.

If you get up to 45-50 mph and let off of the gas pedal, will it up shift to 4th?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it will

When it should shift from 2nd to 3rd, does it just hold on to second or does it go into neutral?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When it hits second and i give it a some gas it just revs out to 5000 rev and 3 2 1 work fine if i manually shif it. Only in auto it wont shift out of second revs out to 5000
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I even it 6000 one time

Are you saying that second gear will not hold if you hit the gas hard?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It holds just stays there and wont go to 3rd

Have you had any work done on the transmission in the last two years?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yea a full rebuild 3 years ago.

Do you know if they replaced the separator plate between the valve body and the case?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I dont know honestly
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just know they replaced the valve body

From what you have told me it sounds like the number 7 check ball has either blown through the separator plate or has gotten stuck in the hole. You need to have the valve body pulled and have the plate inspected. I it has blown through or is stuck in the plate, replace it and to help keep this from happening again install a trans go jr. shift kit. The kit will not make the transmission shift harder, but will update the valve body to give you a much stronger transmission as well as one that will shift much better.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do i have to pull the transmition to do that. And what are the costs to take it in

No the trans does not have to come out to do this repair. A shop will charge you around $500.00 parts and labor.

This is a job you can do yourself if you have a basic set of tools, a jack and 4 jack stands. And the instruction sheet that comes with the shift kit is very good so you do not have to worry about making any mistakes. You can get your parts from www.transtar1.com , for around $150.00 plus you will need about 8 quarts of fluid.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok so what do i have to do im all ready to do it. Is there a youtube video or anything? I would rather do it myself

If you do this job yourself, get a tub of red trans jell to help you put it all back together.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do you know if there is a video to do it? Or what are the steps?

Order your parts from transtar you need to order a separator plate, the shift kit, and a tub of red trans jell.

Once the parts come in, we can go over everything together on here.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok so can you send me an email so i can talk to you again?

All you have to do is come back to this string and send me a message. I will get back to you aspa, and you will not have to pay again.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
is there a brand of parts i should order

All the parts you need will come from trans go. If you get them from trans star you should be able to get them by Wednesday.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I cant find the parts!

I always call my orders in, let me set up an online account and I will get the parts numbers you need.

did you call in your order or do you still need the part numbers of what you need to order. They just set up my account online.