GM

GM Repair Problems? Ask GM Repair Expert Now.

GM

Have a 2002 2500 and the security light is on. Engine won't

Customer Question
start. Sounds like it wants...
Have a 2002 2500 and the security light is on. Engine won't start. Sounds like it wants to briefly but doesn't really fire. Fuel was really low and may have been totally empty when I ft tied starting, but it has at least about 3 gallons now. And was running fine before that.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: GM
8/20/2016
GM Mechanic: Jerry, Master Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Jerry, Master Mechanic

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Do you hear the fuel pump come on for 2 seconds when the key is first turned on?

Do you know what the fuel pressure is?

How did you reset the passkey system?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do hear on when the key is turned.
I do not know what the fuel pressure is.
Tried starting it. Then turned key to on position for 10 minutes. Then off for 5 secs. Did that three times.

I see, thanks. Did the security light go off after the 10 minutes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No it did not
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the battery doesn't have a full charge. Will that prevent a reset

It will if it goes very close to dead. Can you read the trouble codes to see if there are any VTD system codes?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I'm not able to read the codes. The battery did end up dying
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But it's charged now

I see, you may want to keep a charger on it while doing the Passkey relearn on it. Let me post a link to the factory instructions, thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/csy9ge30x6krjnl/LEARN%20PROCEDURES.pdf?dl=0

Did that work?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. i had an electronic key fob on that key ring for the first time. Would that have affected it? My wife has the other key and I'm waiting for her. Hoping that will make a difference??

That shouldn't matter with the Passkey sensor, it doesn't need a key fob in order to work. Let me see if I have any tests for the VTD system.

I do have the test for, "Security Indicator Always On Or Flashing" which does require a scan tool.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where do I find the scan tool? Is it something I can buy or just have to take truck in?

Actually a good scanner that is comparable to the Tech 2 used by GM is very expensive and it doesn't pay to buy on unless you are in the business. Just for the sake of software and application hangups, did you try taking the negative battery cable off for about 10 minutes of so to maybe clear out any problems?

Jerry, Master Mechanic