Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

Lately when I start the 2004 V6 4wd Envoy XUV and put it

Customer Question

Lately when I start the 2004 V6 4wd Envoy XUV and put it into reverse it would not move or it will do a horrible grinding noise. I was parked on a slight hill a.k.a. my driveway and the vehicle rolled while in park. I had to put blocks to hold the vehicle while I put the emergency park brake on. Once the car is off for a period of time the envoy will start and drive as if nothing was wrong. The other day I was driving going over 50mph and the same grinding noise started and I had to pull over, run the vehicle through all 4wd switches to make it stop.
Category: GM
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

It sounds like you have a slipping transfer case encoder motor. Do you plan to diagnose/fix it yourself?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We have some mechanic friends, so most likely would go to them.
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

I would try disconnecting the transfer case control module and then drive the vehicle. If it stops happening then the control module is likely the problem- it is putting the transfer case in neutral by it's self. If it doesn't stop then I would replace the transfer case encoder motor- it is worn and allowing it self to slip in into neutral.

Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

Did you need any additional help with your vehicle? Please don't forge to rate if I have been of some assistance.