Ryan Schott
Ryan Schott,
Experience:  technician at Demarois Buick Gmc
77508644

I have a 1993 P30 chevy chassis 454 ci. the motorhome was

Customer Question

I have a 1993 P30 chevy chassis 454 ci. the motorhome was idling in the driveway for an hour and just died. I diagnosed the problem as not getting fuel . where is the fuel pump relay located. i wild like to check it before i blame the fuel pump.
JA: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?
Customer: it has 35000 miles and had been in storage for 5 years so i just put a new battery in it
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i would like to fix it myself. i have checked the injectors, changed the inline fuel filter and turned it over with the filter off thinking i would see fuel but nothing ever came out. i poured a small amount of gas down the throttle body and it started but of course died.
Category: GM
Expert:  Ryan Schott replied 1 year ago.

The relay is only cycled for priming the system, the power feed while running comes through the oil pressure switch, if it starts then dies you likely have prime but not run power, if it starts on ether then stays running you likely don't have prime. an easy thing to try too see if it is the pump, is crank it while someone beats on the tank with a mallet and see if it fires up, electric motors can start in multiple positions so sometimes jostling it will let it fire up.