Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified with 25+ years experience.
20625509

I was reading thru ur post and tried a paper clip from #30

Customer Question

I was reading thru ur post and tried a paper clip from #30 to #87 on relay, now car won't start, any clue what I might have done?
Category: GM
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a 96 blazer 4x4 wit 118000 on it. A/c last nite went cold to warm to cold to warm( like outside temp) and now just stays warm. I was reading thru ur post and u mentioned running paper clip from #30 to #87 and I tried that and now the car won't start. Any clue what I did wrong?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Most likely blew a fuse. Check the fuses.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Which fuses should I start with? When I turn the key everything comes on like normal, but it just won't start.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Which relay were you jumping with a paper clip?

That is most likely the circuit with a blown fuse.

Can you hear the fuel pump run for 2 seconds when you first turn the key to run?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Check the "ECM BATT fuse 9" in the I/P fuse block, it feeds the fuel pump and relay, as well as the VCM.

Check the ECM/IGN fuse same fuse block, it feeds the fuel injectors as well as the crank sensor, the ignition coil and distributor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sir I hear the pump hissing. I'm pointing to the relay in the picture.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In a pic that was on the post it showed the second one from the right to be for the a/c
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Was you trying to jump the ac compressor relay?

Ok, that is supposed to be it. Check those other fuses though.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

While you are at it, check the a/c comp fuse 14, same fuse block I/P.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sir I was trying to jump compressor. I checked #9 n #14 they look fine. On those black box relays, how u tell if there bad?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

A few ways. First, if there are any identical and/or with the same part number, you could try swapping them. You should also be able to put your finger on it and feel if it clicks, when it is first energized or supposedly first energized such as when turning on the switch. You could also jump them like you tried, but I suggest getting yourself a $2 inline fuse and use it whenever making jumps, that way you blow it's fuse hopefully first an use like only a 5 amp fuse when checking something that has a 10 amp fuse in it, like that. Also, you can remove the relay and make sure it is getting voltage to the spots in the relay socket when they are supposed to be hot. Or I suppose you could remove the relay and using a 6 volt battery out of a flood light and an voltmeter place the relay on a bench and work it by jumping voltage and ground and seeing first if it clicks and sends voltage trough when it clicks when you add 6 volts to it. I have never really tried this yet, but just thought of it cause I have been using my 6 volt battery for my flashlight to check the led light bulbs I am installing in my instrument cluster I had out sitting on a bench and it powers them up.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I was more concerned about the correct relay cause all of the location graphics I found so far just mentions that location but doesn't really specify, which one of those relays. I want to check the owners manual, hold on.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

The owners manual was no help. Also check the gauges fuse, should be fuse 4.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dammit bud, now re-looking at the relay, I put the freaking paper clip in the wrong spot. Not sure if that helps make sense of what went wrong.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What could that have messed up by doing that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok bud I found it, it was #20(crank) that was blown, blazer at least starts now.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, make sure you used a fused jumper from now on. I am not really an ac expert, so I am done. YI did though tell you a few ways to test a relay incase you want to jump that ac compressor relay again. use a fused jumper though. I would first check the ac fuse.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. If you have any more questions, go ahead and ask.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's weird cuz I ended up putting the clip in the right spots and it started to engage the compressor and the fan, went to turn car on and it wouldn't start, I put the relay back in and the car started and now a/c works, any clue what happened?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

The relay was probably just loose in the socket.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

All done now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea I think so since I have no clue what just happened lol, guess I'll check freon again.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, don't forget to rate me well.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I see you continue to view my responses but fail to rate me, is there something I forgot or do you still need help?