GM

GM Repair Problems? Ask GM Repair Expert Now.

GM

I was reading thru ur post and tried a paper clip from #30

Customer Question
to #87 on relay, now...
I was reading thru ur post and tried a paper clip from #30 to #87 on relay, now car won't start, any clue what I might have done?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: GM
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a 96 blazer 4x4 wit 118000 on it. A/c last nite went cold to warm to cold to warm( like outside temp) and now just stays warm. I was reading thru ur post and u mentioned running paper clip from #30 to #87 and I tried that and now the car won't start. Any clue what I did wrong?
7/9/2016
GM Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Most likely blew a fuse. Check the fuses.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Which fuses should I start with? When I turn the key everything comes on like normal, but it just won't start.

Which relay were you jumping with a paper clip?

That is most likely the circuit with a blown fuse.

Can you hear the fuel pump run for 2 seconds when you first turn the key to run?

Check the "ECM BATT fuse 9" in the I/P fuse block, it feeds the fuel pump and relay, as well as the VCM.

Check the ECM/IGN fuse same fuse block, it feeds the fuel injectors as well as the crank sensor, the ignition coil and distributor.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
In a pic that was on the post it showed the second one from the right to be for the a/c

Was you trying to jump the ac compressor relay?

Ok, that is supposed to be it. Check those other fuses though.

While you are at it, check the a/c comp fuse 14, same fuse block I/P.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sir I was trying to jump compressor. I checked #9 n #14 they look fine. On those black box relays, how u tell if there bad?

A few ways. First, if there are any identical and/or with the same part number, you could try swapping them. You should also be able to put your finger on it and feel if it clicks, when it is first energized or supposedly first energized such as when turning on the switch. You could also jump them like you tried, but I suggest getting yourself a $2 inline fuse and use it whenever making jumps, that way you blow it's fuse hopefully first an use like only a 5 amp fuse when checking something that has a 10 amp fuse in it, like that. Also, you can remove the relay and make sure it is getting voltage to the spots in the relay socket when they are supposed to be hot. Or I suppose you could remove the relay and using a 6 volt battery out of a flood light and an voltmeter place the relay on a bench and work it by jumping voltage and ground and seeing first if it clicks and sends voltage trough when it clicks when you add 6 volts to it. I have never really tried this yet, but just thought of it cause I have been using my 6 volt battery for my flashlight to check the led light bulbs I am installing in my instrument cluster I had out sitting on a bench and it powers them up.

I was more concerned about the correct relay cause all of the location graphics I found so far just mentions that location but doesn't really specify, which one of those relays. I want to check the owners manual, hold on.

The owners manual was no help. Also check the gauges fuse, should be fuse 4.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dammit bud, now re-looking at the relay, I put the freaking paper clip in the wrong spot. Not sure if that helps make sense of what went wrong.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What could that have messed up by doing that?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok bud I found it, it was #20(crank) that was blown, blazer at least starts now.

Ok, make sure you used a fused jumper from now on. I am not really an ac expert, so I am done. YI did though tell you a few ways to test a relay incase you want to jump that ac compressor relay again. use a fused jumper though. I would first check the ac fuse.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. If you have any more questions, go ahead and ask.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's weird cuz I ended up putting the clip in the right spots and it started to engage the compressor and the fan, went to turn car on and it wouldn't start, I put the relay back in and the car started and now a/c works, any clue what happened?

The relay was probably just loose in the socket.

All done now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yea I think so since I have no clue what just happened lol, guess I'll check freon again.

Ok, don't forget to rate me well.

I see you continue to view my responses but fail to rate me, is there something I forgot or do you still need help?

Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician