GM

GM Repair Problems? Ask GM Repair Expert Now.

GM

88 chevy 1 ton 350 engine.....starter good, battery good,

Customer Question
new cylinder key lock....just get...
88 chevy 1 ton 350 engine.....starter good, battery good, new cylinder key lock....just get a click when I try to start it
JA: How many miles are on the car? Does the engine turn over at all?
Customer: Engine runs very well, a rebuilt was put in a couple years back.
JA: What is the model/year of your GM?
Customer: 88 1 ton
JA: What year is your GM?
Customer: 1988 Chevy Truck C 3500 Truck 2WD V8-350 5.7L
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: put in a new starter and a new key cylinder lock.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: not sure what that would be
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: GM
6/20/2016
GM Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Is your truck automatic or manual?

Have you tested for voltage at the starter yet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
automatic.....no
Truck was working just fine and all of sudden stopped working...nothing.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
almost a new batter cable going to the starter

Ok. The click you are hearing- is it a quiet click or a loud clunk?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is more of quiet click

Do you have a multi-meter to do some testing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do

So you will want to test to see what voltage you have at the battery, should be about 12.5 volts or so and then test for 12 volts at the battery cable running to the starter all the way down at the starter.

Next you will need a helper to test the starter solenoid.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
if the voltage at the starter is good and the solenoid is good....what would be next? just put the starter in a couple days ago.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Gonna have to remove the starter to test it....will take some time.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
am I waiting for a response?

To test the solenoid you will unplug the solenoid trigger wire and then have someone else turn the key to crank while you watch for 12 volts on the trigger wire.

If the starter has 12 volts, the solenoid has 12 volts in the crank position, then the starter has to be bad.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the only part that has not been replaced in the starting system is the Starter Switch, but it just looks like a plug (for lack of a better word) to me...your thoughts on that?

If you don't get 12 volts at the trigger wire of the starter then you should suspect the ignition switch. We can do some testing from there if it looks like you aren't getting voltage at the trigger like you should.

I need to step out into the shop for a little bit. Let me know how the voltage testing goes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will not get to it until later, but you have been a real help. Thank you

Sounds good. Let me know if you get stuck.

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic