Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

I changed put the cabin filters due to an odor in the rear

Customer Question

I changed put the cabin filters due to an odor in the rear cabin when the AC was turned on. There is still an order after changing the filter. And ideas?
JA: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: 227330. Milage is about the same as usual.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Is there more than one set of cabin filters? I changed the ones located under the passenger side dash.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Well I'd like to, single mom 3 kids. Going to a mechanic isn't exactly in the budget
JA: Is there anything else important you think the GM Mechanic should know about your GM?
Customer: Yea the ac is no longer cooling
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GM
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. my name is ***** ***** to help with this.

Hard to say without me actually smelling the odor, but alot of times mice will crawl up into the dash, get stuck, then die. This causes a nasty odor that is hard to get rid of, without actually taking apart the dash and finding the dead rodent.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

what type of odor is this? a musty odor?

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Your AC not working could be many different things. You could try checking the fuse for the AC. It is located in the under hood fuse box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Musty, and smells like manure is the best I can describe it. It stinks in the back!
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Does it have rear AC?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. Rear ac is running hot as well.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Your freon could be low, you may need a recharge, but if you have a leak in the system, you need to get that repaired before you can recharge. Otherwise it will leak out all the new refrigerant.

Is there any wetness on the floor and carpet on the front passengers side?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No wetness at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What type of refeigerant, r134a?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

What year is your vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2002
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Yes it is r134a

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any other ideas on the smell?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's only when you turn on the rear cabin ac
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

There could be a dead rodent, in the rear vents, the evaporator on the rear cabin ac system could be leaking. The evap drain tubes could be clogged, which leaves standing water, that can smell musty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I get to those?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

what is the make and model of the vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2002 chevy tahoe
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The rear evap drain tube should be on the passengers side, under the vehicle, above the tail pipe. behind the passengers rear tire. there will be other metal aluminum pipes going into the body. The drain tube is the small rubber one sticking out. You could try taking a piece of wire and unclogging it.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Let me know what you find.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions, thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wento recharge with free on appears to be full but compressor comes on only for a second then back off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to recharge it but it seems to be full. The compressor though only comes on for a second or two (literally) and it shuts back off. Could I need a new compressor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I found the hoses you were talking about, there is a consistent leak of water and it smells the same as the odor inside the rear cabin. What do I do
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

That wetness in the picture looks like refrigerant oil from the can of r134a . You have a major leak. You are going to need to replace the rear evaporator coil, and recharge the system.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help.

Thanks Dan

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Dan again, hoping you are satisfied with my service.

Could you please rate the answer, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!