GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

I changed put the cabin filters due to an odor in the rear…

Customer Question
I changed put the...

I changed put the cabin filters due to an odor in the rear cabin when the AC was turned on. There is still an order after changing the filter. And ideas?

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?

227330. Milage is about the same as usual.

Mechanic's Assistant: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

Is there more than one set of cabin filters? I changed the ones located under the passenger side dash.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Well I'd like to, single mom 3 kids. Going to a mechanic isn't exactly in the budget

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the GM Mechanic should know about your GM?

Yea the ac is no longer cooling

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GM
6/13/2016
GM Mechanic: Dan, ASE Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, ASE Master Technician

Hello. my name is ***** ***** to help with this.

Hard to say without me actually smelling the odor, but alot of times mice will crawl up into the dash, get stuck, then die. This causes a nasty odor that is hard to get rid of, without actually taking apart the dash and finding the dead rodent.

what type of odor is this? a musty odor?

Your AC not working could be many different things. You could try checking the fuse for the AC. It is located in the under hood fuse box.

Musty, and smells like manure is the best I can describe it. It stinks in the back!

Does it have rear AC?

No. Rear ac is running hot as well.

Your freon could be low, you may need a recharge, but if you have a leak in the system, you need to get that repaired before you can recharge. Otherwise it will leak out all the new refrigerant.

Is there any wetness on the floor and carpet on the front passengers side?

No wetness at all.
What type of refeigerant, r134a?

What year is your vehicle?

2002

Yes it is r134a

Any other ideas on the smell?
It's only when you turn on the rear cabin ac

There could be a dead rodent, in the rear vents, the evaporator on the rear cabin ac system could be leaking. The evap drain tubes could be clogged, which leaves standing water, that can smell musty.

How do I get to those?

what is the make and model of the vehicle?

2002 chevy tahoe

The rear evap drain tube should be on the passengers side, under the vehicle, above the tail pipe. behind the passengers rear tire. there will be other metal aluminum pipes going into the body. The drain tube is the small rubber one sticking out. You could try taking a piece of wire and unclogging it.

Let me know what you find.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions, thanks

I wento recharge with free on appears to be full but compressor comes on only for a second then back off.
I tried to recharge it but it seems to be full. The compressor though only comes on for a second or two (literally) and it shuts back off. Could I need a new compressor?

That wetness in the picture looks like refrigerant oil from the can of r134a . You have a major leak. You are going to need to replace the rear evaporator coil, and recharge the system.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help.

Thanks Dan

Dan again, hoping you are satisfied with my service.

Could you please rate the answer, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!