chevygeorge
chevygeorge, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Technician for over 25 years
93784238

Co265Co245Co241Co251Co252Co241Co241Co291 : All these codes.

Customer Question

Co265Co245Co241Co251Co252Co241Co241Co291
JA: Huh?
Customer: All these codes. One place says it's the ground for the ECBM, another says it's the ABS module. Both ABS and parking brake lights are on. Just changed brake pads yesterday, and the lights went out, but now the brakes slip at full stops, then the lights come back on, and the brakes work perfectly. Mechanic said the calipers were sticking
JA: Is there a code associated with the error? Have you checked the ABS fluid?
Customer: Co265Co245Co241Co251Co252Co241Co241Co291
JA: Huh?
Customer: All those are the codes
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Just filled fluid yesterday
JA: Is there anything else the GM Mechanic should be aware of about your GM?
Customer: Just swapped out driver side wheel bearing when we changed the brake pads
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GM
Expert:  chevygeorge replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** i'm here to assist you. The most likely cause of a C0265 is a shorted module. It can also cause the other codes you described. You can check the ebcm ground at the #2 body mount on the driver's side. My suggestion would be to replace your abs module with a rebuilt unit from the Internet. Ive used modulemaster with great results.

These units have a relay inside the unit that fails. Sometimes the condition can be very intermitant. A module failure is one of the few abs faults that will turn on a brake AND abs light. A wheel speed sensor will only set the abs light.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
by intermittent, you mean sometimes the lights will come on, and other times go out? odd thing is, when the lights go off, the brakes begin to seemingly slip right at the edge of stopping
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when the lights are on, the brakes seemingly work fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my mechanic yesterday, when changing my brake pads, commented on how seemingly "sticky" the calipers were
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i thought perhaps bad calipers at first

Sorry, I was unavailable for a bit. When the abs light is on, your system reverts to base brakes only. I have been working Chevrolets for 25 years, and have maybe seen half a dozen real caliper issues. By intermittent, the relay only fails occasionally, either during a self test or a antilock stop. What is your year and model?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2003 avalanche 1500 rwd 5.3
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
mastermodules apparently has refurbished every model ABS module but mine

I'm unclear what you mean by your last statement. They definitely rebuild the Kelsey-Hayes module that is on your truck. Last I remember it was $135. They have a 5 year warranty vs OEM 12 month, and I found their modules outperform the factory replacements(which are now remanufactured). Your C0265 is the single most common failure on the K-H modules. They other codes you have are solenoid/voltage related codes, that are often a voltage by product of the module relay failing.

Your Avalanche's brake system is pretty bulletproof. I rarely see any unusual issues. Rear brake pads usually last upwards of 70k miles and fronts well over 100k. It could be you are dropping a wheel speed at slow stops, but that is not indicated by your list of DTCs. I assume when you installed the new hub bearing/wheel speed sensor, you routed the sensor in the original orientation to avoid harness to wheel contact. I have seen issues with non oem hub bearings having excessive play when new. If the condition started after hub replacement, I wouldn't rule it out. I would also play close attention the the harness on the other side of the wheel speed connector, as rodent like to munch on them on the top of the frame. If it was chaffed, you may have disturbed it during replacement. I would also check your connector pins and make sure the connector is fully seated.

Please take the time to rate my service, and if you need more assistance, feel free to ask.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got the abs module replaced, and immediately the TC light came on. What is that? And did changing the ABS module do it?

Is this a module you purchased, or did you send yours off to have it rebuilt? Is it only the traction control light, or is the Antilock light on also? Under what conditions does the light come on? Is it at first start up or after driving? Is there a trouble code? It may be that your tire size needs recalibrated since your vehicle has Traction control. Most modules come with p235/75/R15 set as the default tire size, and vehicles with traction control will show a wheel speed mismatch, and unwanted traction activation, if not calibrated to the tire size on the door placard. If your truck does not have traction control, you may have been given the wrong module.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i purchased rebuilt from stockwiseauto.com. only the TC light is on now, and it is causing the brakes to stagger and slip like they did when my old module would function intermittently, but this is the first time the Traction Control light has come on. i've read several things online. if you'll remember, we just changed the front driver side bearing last week. that includes the wiring. one place online says that wiring connection may be the culprit, other places say something about some "plugs" that need clearing, or blowing out, (have no idea what they are)

Try turning the traction control "off" and see if the stagger is eliminated. It sounds like the module is not programmed with your correct tire size. This can be done with a scan tool like a Tech 2 in the tire size calibration header of the EBCM.

Turning of TC will isolate if the abs or tc is causing stagger.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
TC will not be turned off, tried several times. though the "slipping" brakes has become intermittent now instead of every time i stop

If you can't disable the traction control with the buton, i suspect they may have given your the incorrect module. There are 2 modules available, with or without tc. Do you have the original? There is a distinct difference in the number of pins in the connector slot of the 2 modules.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ordered from stockwiseauto, it looked exactly like the model we removed, fit back together exactly as the other did. had to return the core for $100 deposit. everywhere i looked on google said this was the correct module.
Products
1 x Dorman 599-715 ABS Control Module
- Vehicle: 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500
- Core: Reman Deposit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
60;There is a distinct difference in the number of pins in the connector slot of the 2 modules.>
would that cause the 3 wires not connect easily? or is that inside the unit? because the wiring went back together easily, i was there at the shop when the mechanic popped it in

Physically the modules would completely interchange and the pin difference on the main connector wouldn't be apparent unless you looked. It will definately need to be calibrated to your tire size to function properly. Do you know if this was done by your mechanic?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am sure it was not calibrated. i should probably get that done at a dealership? i hate dealing with dealerships, they are always so expensive. so i sent a message to stockwiseauto asking them to reply concerning whether or not the module supported TC, i am waiting for their response

Anyone with a diagnostic scanner can calibrate it. A simple code reader will not be able to calibrate it.

Please take the time to rate my service today, and if you have any further questions on the topic, please feel free to ask. Thank you, George.

I did a quick search on Dorman's website and the 599-715 fits a Chevy trailblazer or Gmc Envoy. According to the website, you should have a 599-726. for your 2003 Chevy Avalanche with traction control.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks, i'll update stockwise auto
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
stockwise doesnt have my core any more, nor do they have the correct one in stock, and do not have an idea when they will. they are providing me with a full and complete refund, once the module i bought from them is returned. would you happen to have a list of compatible abs modules, so i can try to find one? module master requires my original to repair, and now i don't have it anymore.

I'm sorry you're going through this. It seems stockwise owes you a core also. I can look up your module if you give me the last 8 of your VIN. I've been able to give Module master the GM part number and they have been able to tell me if they have a repaired unit in stock. If they do then they'll just charge you for a core. I used to give them a GM part # ***** get a rebuilt module, and then send my old unit back to them after the repair, but I think cores are getting more scarce.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks so much. 3G246035
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
stockwise is giving me a full refund, $100 for the lost core, and $164.00 for the returned part.

I apologize, but the last 8 of the VIN isn't working. Do you have the full 17?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3GNEC13T83G246035

Thanks. I got the 8 to work...it just didn't want me to copy and paste.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here is the sticker from the glove box

I pulled it up in the GM parts catalog, but I have limited access. I have a ACdelco number of 19301631, but I need to get the GM part number.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks, ***** ***** delco part is EXPENSIVE

That's a good number. I called my parts guy. He said a 19244903 is also a correct part number. Everywhere on the internet calls for a 19122252 but module master says that is without T/c.

I just got off the phone with Terri at Module master. They have a module that will work for you. The part number she gave me is 19149024 (there is always a lot of part number changes). Her number is(###) ###-#### *****'s checked and it is with traction control (number of pins)and is ready to go, so you don't need a core(they charge $50 for core).

So ask for Terri and give her the part# *****

Please take the time to rate my service and let me know if I can help you further. George