GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Ac was running low on freon and was recharged this morning.

Customer Question

Ac was running low on freon and was recharged this morning. Ran just fine until I got to the grocery store. Switched it off and then I came back and switched it on. Ac didn't run.
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Well a friend and I worked on it and checked the low pressure and it had freon after driving. But when we tried to check it again, the pressure was past where it should have been. Checked fuses also
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I hope so. I know the compressor isn't bad. If it sits overnight or something it works but when I have been driving today, the ac hasn't been working properly. Thinking about replacing the relay
JA: Is there anything else the GM Mechanic should be aware of about your GM?
Customer: Compressor was replaced almost 2 years ago. Changed the blend door actuator back in January.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: GM
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

What year and make is you GMC and when you checked your pressure after it stopped cooling was the compressor running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The compressor clutch didn't cycle after I got to the auto parts store. I know it was low on freon before and was recharged. Has freon now. Thinking about the ac relay being faulty
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me the year and make of you GMC so I can have a look at the correct diagrams?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2001 GMC Sierra 1500 with 5.3 V-8
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Okay if the relay is actually at fault before you replace it or anything else can you take a 12 volt test light and or a volt meter and check and see if you are getting battery voltage at the compressor clutch with the AC on when the clutch will not engage. The power feed from the relay is the green wire, check this for me and post back with the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok then
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Let me know, Im here when you ready.