GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

Ac was running low on freon and was recharged this morning.

Customer Question
Ac was running low...

Ac was running low on freon and was recharged this morning. Ran just fine until I got to the grocery store. Switched it off and then I came back and switched it on. Ac didn't run.

Mechanic's Assistant: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

Well a friend and I worked on it and checked the low pressure and it had freon after driving. But when we tried to check it again, the pressure was past where it should have been. Checked fuses also

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

I hope so. I know the compressor isn't bad. If it sits overnight or something it works but when I have been driving today, the ac hasn't been working properly. Thinking about replacing the relay

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the GM Mechanic should be aware of about your GM?

Compressor was replaced almost 2 years ago. Changed the blend door actuator back in January.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GM
3/11/2016
GM Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thank you for your question,

What year and make is you GMC and when you checked your pressure after it stopped cooling was the compressor running?

The compressor clutch didn't cycle after I got to the auto parts store. I know it was low on freon before and was recharged. Has freon now. Thinking about the ac relay being faulty

Can you tell me the year and make of you GMC so I can have a look at the correct diagrams?

2001 GMC Sierra 1500 with 5.3 V-8

Okay if the relay is actually at fault before you replace it or anything else can you take a 12 volt test light and or a volt meter and check and see if you are getting battery voltage at the compressor clutch with the AC on when the clutch will not engage. The power feed from the relay is the green wire, check this for me and post back with the results.

Ok then

Let me know, Im here when you ready.