Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

I have a 2007 H3 Hummer. I am having a hard time passing

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2007 H3 Hummer. I am having a hard time passing ***** ***** Emissions. I replaced my throttle body, but now I am getting a p0496 code when I take it to get an emissions test. My mechanic thoroughly cleaned the throttle body and the air intake, but I am still getting 3 codes and can't pass.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what more do you need to know?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — GM Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: GM
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, in your suggested fix, if it is a part than can be cleaned and not replaced that would be most helpful. For example, if I can clean a part and not pay the money to purchase and replace it, that would help me a lot financially.
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

You mentioned P0496, and also that you're getting three codes. What are they?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't recall the other codes. They are not codes from the hand held diagnostic, but from the emissions testing machine. The print out the emissions tech gave me said p0496

This code tells us that there is unchecked vacuum being applied to the EVAP system. This is typically due to an EVAP purge solenoid that is stuck open. Locate the purge solenoid, with engine running at idle, and pull the vacuum line off. If you can feel vacuum on the nipple that attaches to the vacuum line you just removed, disconnect the electrical connector from the solenoid. If you still have vacuum, then the solenoid is stuck open and needs to be replaced.

EVAP purge solenoid is located on the bottom of the intake manifold, you have to remove the LF wheel and inner wheelhouse liner to access it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for this information. I will take it to my mechanic to let him check it out. I really hope this is it and I really appreciate your help.

Certainly, good luck with it.

Please remember to rate my answers, that's how I get compensated.

Did you get this worked out? Wanted to follow up and make sure you got what you needed from me.