Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

2009 traverse, just quit on the road. Took it to numerous

Customer Question

2009 traverse, just quit on the road. Took it to numerous mechanics with no cure. Had the engine replaced along with the computer and fuel pump. Still won't run so I took it to the Chevy dealer to see if they could make it run. They called it a puzzle and told me to come pick it up. Put a lot of money in it and it still won't run. What now?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a GM. The GM Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No
JA: OK! The GM Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the GM Mechanic should know about your GM?
Customer: The mechanic that replaced the engine said he thinks the modules need to be reprogrammed. I mentioned this to the dealership and they said they didn't think so.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: GM
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

So, it has a new engine, new computer and a new fuel pump and the dealer couldn't get it to run?

That's odd.

Will the engine crank but not run or does it do nothing at all?

After the computer was replaced was it programmed at the dealer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dealer would not touch it. It's a 3.6, I was told that it's a terrible engine and I believe it ! According to the mechanic that replaced the engine, it won't fire on all the coil packs. That's why the modules need to be reprogrammed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He did say he got it to crank briefly a couple of times but would not run correctly or for long.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

It isn't the best of GMs engines that's for sure. They tend to have timing chain issues. If the PCM was never programmed then it won't run; however, if the mechanic didn't get the timing chain right it will crank and not fire as well. Without knowing what the mechanic has checked it's really hard to nail down a specific cause. If he hasn't already, he needs to do a compression test and make sure the compression isn't low across all cylinders. If it is 90 psi or below then he messed up on the timing install.

Also, if he isn't getting spark on any cylinders then the problem is in the PCM or PCM programming.

If the coils are getting spark but there is no injector pulse then the problem is in the crank or cam sensors.

If the coils are getting spark and there is injector pulse then the problem could be plugged catalytic converters, especially since he got it to kind of run a couple of times.

There is a ton of testing that needs to be done to figure this one out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Most of that has already been checked and it's not showing any codes. If the dealership is the only one that can reprogram the modules but are not interested in doing it, what can I do?
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

It's also possible that the theft module is preventing it from starting.

I can't imagine why the dealer would be so uncooperative. You'll need to find a shop in your town that has a Tech 2 scan tool. They should be able to program the PCM and theft module if they keep their tool updated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks, at least I have a starting point now.
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I'm curious to hear what it ends up being. Please let me know if you are able to find a shop with a scan tool and whether you need additional info.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks again
Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Expert:  Jared D replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to check whether you need any additional help.

If you no longer need assistance, please don't forget to rate.