Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified with 25+ years experience.
20625509

Radio is on mute, can't get it to work 2008 acadia, thats

Customer Question

radio is on mute, can't get it to work 2008 acadia
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a GM. The GM Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: thats it
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked the fuse, it is fine, nchecked the rear sound , it is off.
JA: Is there anything else the GM Mechanic should be aware of about your GM?
Customer: thats it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $27 after the GM Mechanic responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: GM
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Does the radio actually say "mute" or is it just there is no sound?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I assume this is a MP3 radio, does it also have a single CD or Cd and DVD?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Or 6 cd?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If the Rear Seat Audio (RSA) is turned on, the radio disables FADE and mutes the rear speakers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when you press the steering wheel button, the mute shows up on the screen. it is a 6 cd, the rsa is off
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Also, The audio system mutes the rear speakers when the RSA audio is active through the headphones.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no headphones, no sound thru any speakers the turn signals are quiet also
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Turn signals? Do they actually work? What do you mean they are quiet? Are they even supposed to make a noise?

How come you didn't mention this before?

Press any button on the radio, does the sound come back on now?

How many speakers are there? Are there any front speakers?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

You said before, "checked the rear sound , it is off." Now you are saying all of the speakers are out and the radio does say mute?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
turn signals work, they usually make a slight clicking sound, there are front speakers, tried pressing channel buttons and tried changing the band , the cd player is working but no sound. Yes all of the speakers are out, and the radio says mute.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Try pressing the steering wheel button again, do they come on now or at least the mute go off the radio?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i tried that several times, both a short press and also held the button for about a minute
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

You only should press the button once and a short press, pressing it for more than 1 second, turns on and off navigation and/or OnStar.

Leave he steering wheel buttons alone, turn off the key, turn on the key and just use the buttons on the radio. Can you turn the power on and off, volume up? Does the radio still say mute?

I don't know why the turn signals stopped making a noise. Do the indicators on the instrument cluster work when using the turn signals?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Here is the owners manual, page 3-128 is about that mute button. It's compressed cause it was over 5 mb's.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the radio turns on, volume is up. still no sound. Turn signal indicators work.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Does the radio still say "mute"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike,
I have to go on a sales call, we will continue this later,
Thanks, Mike
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

ok

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Did you want to continue with this or not?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike,
Yes , I want to continue. Also the N, S E, and West indicator on the rear view mirror is not working.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Does the radio still say "mute"?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

replace the bck/up/stop fuse, in the i/p fuse block and try everything again.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

I'll be working outside in my yard today, but I will be stopping in to check on you from time to time, until this afternoon about 5pm, I should be in for good.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike,
Tried the BCK up fuse, still does'nt work. Also the back up light beeper is not working. Electrical is a son of a gun isn't it !
Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Check the MSM fuse in the I/P fuse block and make sure you use a voltmeter or at least a 12 volt test light cause I need to know I the fuse has voltage to it or not, so test both sides of the fuse. Both sides should be hot all the time, even with the key off and go back and test that bck/up/stop fuse, in the i/p fuse block for voltage on both sides of it.