GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Just started to replace intake/head gaskets on 98 4.3 Vortec

Customer Question

Just started to replace intake/head gaskets on 98 4.3 Vortec (X) . It was essentially given to me. I have intake off and in reading discovered there is a huge problem with intake gasket disintegration. How do I know it was that and not head gaskets? pain to pull the plugs to examine and pressure test each hole! The 6 intake manifold ports on heads and intake have Zero of the light Brown bad cake mix anywhere inside or into the valve chambers and it is everywhere else. Any deep thoughts?
I have no desire to pull the heads or do much more. I am pooped and had recent 4 level re-do on a my spine with post op 3 week hospitalization and home IV antibiotics.
Category: GM
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

was the plastic lower intake manifold gaskets cracked and broken at all ?