GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado 5.3 liter z71 Transmission…

Customer Question
I have a 2004 Chevy...
I have a 2004 Chevy Silverado 5.3 liter z71 Transmission 4L60E I have replaced motor within the last 2 months then just a few weeks ago and all the sudden slammed into second gear would not go any higher so I then turn around and replace the transmission thinking that would fix it it still would not come out 2nd gear my cluster is messing up I have to hit on the dash to make it work I have an anti theft light coming on and it blinks for a little while and shuts off an engine code is also popped up for 2 & 3 solenoid so I replace the solenoid along with a few others still nothing I have also replaced the TPS sensor the mass air flow sensor the vehicle speed sensor both at the back till the end of the transfer case I'm at a loss I don't know what else I could do
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GM
2/15/2016
GM Mechanic: tim's auto repair, mechanic replied 2 years ago
tim's auto repair

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you

cluster is messed up?

does the gear indicator PRND321 light up?

No shows nothing until I've bang on the dash and even then it still doesn't shift properly.
It only shift down into first manually

ok.

you certainly do need to replace the instrument cluster,,these were known to go bad like this.

also,you may need to replace he ignition switch,the electrical switch itself.

i think the reason the transmission isnt shifting is because it isnt getting power t the transmission,,the ignition switch can cause the cluster and the transmission not to work,though,i think your cluster may also be bad sense it will work by jarring it

thanks

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

That did not work. Changed it now it is throwing all kinds of codes

what did you replace?

what didnt work?

I changed The ignition switch and patched up some wires on the transmission harness with sauder.

you replaced the electrical part of the switch?

is the cluster still not working correctly?