GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

2002 Envoy the mirrors are hard to adjust now and they never…

Customer Question
2002 Envoy the mirrors...

2002 Envoy the mirrors are hard to adjust now and they never return to the "saved" position. When backing up they go where they want and are hard to adjust so I can see behind me. It's like they are sticky....?

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a GM. The GM Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Was hoping, yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the GM Mechanic should be aware of about your GM?

I don't think so

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GM
2/14/2016
GM Mechanic: GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** I can help.

Do you want to disable that feature so they don't move when you backup?

No, I want them to work like they did when they were new. They are glitch and hard to adjust

I found a bulletin.

Some customers may comment that the outside rearview mirrors do not return to their original position after using the reverse tilt (curb view assist) feature

I need your VIN#

When you say they a glitch. Do they stop moving when you manually adjust them? Do both mirrors act the same way?

Do you have to fiddle with the switch?

I have to fiddle. They used to be smooth in their operation, now it clicks and jumps ...not smooth. Yes, both mirrors are affected. VIN# *****

I think you have two problems.

The jumping/clicking mirror is usually a problem in the mirror its self. They are a sealed units.

Here is a link on the bulletin I found for the other problem. The build date is 4/26/02

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gtq0yowqs7y8es9/AAAyRBpxQL_yJ6cXgq5Fc5tUa?dl=0

I hope this helps if not let me know

Thank you

We got the update years ago. It seems more mechanical than electronic. Is there a way of lubricating the mirror movement? It almost "groans" when in motion.
They are getting along in years, but this has been a great car for us (purchased new) and hate to trade it in yet. Sentimental I guess.