GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

I'm thinking of buying a GMC envoy 2005 and the dealer said…

Customer Question
I'm thinking of buying a...
I'm thinking of buying a GMC envoy 2005 for 3500 and the dealer said the speedometer needs repair and oil gauge ,is this expensive to repair? Or is it too good to be true ,the car outside looks great but I'm more concerned about the inside ?!! Help
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GM
2/12/2016
GM Mechanic: john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician

generally that's a faulty instrument cluster...its relatively inexpensive I use a place called united radio They charge around 200 to rebuild it if you ship it to them.. Or you can buy a used instrument cluster for around 100 dollars..The problem with the instrument cluster is the miles will show the miles from the donor vehicle.. So if you can find a used one with similar mileage or live with what you get.. I would ask the dealer to put a used cluster in ... you can locate one on www.car-part.com personally I would want it repaired prior to purchase

What's a cluster? I'm confused is that about the speedometer or the gauge
Lol I'm not car savy

the cluster is the gauge assembly as a unit

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you

hope you can rate me 5 star