GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

My 2009 GMC Acadia just started having problems. It is still…

Customer Question
My 2009 GMC Acadia just...
My 2009 GMC Acadia just started having problems. It is still running (very low idle) after the key is off and out of the ignition and have also noticed heater is working part of the time. Are these two related?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GM
2/10/2016
GM Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

First, how long does it stay running with the key off?

Is it actually running or is the cooling fan just staying on?

I guess it's the cooling fan. Seems like 2 cooling fans? I can get the first or more powerful one to shut off with turning the key then the other runs for a out 4 min. It's running really got today, no warm air blowing. Fluids are all good

It's normal for the cooling fans to run when they key is off if the engine is hotter than it normally should. The first thing you should do is check the coolant level in the radiator. The radiator cap on this car us under the plastic flap on the passenger side of the radiator. It's very common to see the level in the reservoir (the clear plastic bottle) to be full and the radiator it self to be low on this car. With the engine cold, remove the plastic clips that hold the plastic cover down with a flat head screw driver and then remove the radiator cap. If the heater isn't working well it's a pretty safe bet that the coolant level is low. The heater uses coolant to provide heat.

Low coolant is also causing the car to run hotter than normal and then commanding the cooling fan to run for a few minutes after you turn it off.

If you run it for too long with low coolant it will damage the engine.

Just checking in to see if you need additional information. Please don't forget to rate if you no longer need help.