GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

I have a 2008 GMC Acadia. Yesterday the engine turned off…

Customer Question
I have a 2008 GMC...
I have a 2008 GMC Acadia. Yesterday the engine turned off twice within 15 miles. It cranked back after waiting 10 min. for reset. Oreillys checked codes since engine light came on, among several others (stabilitrack, service airbag, service throttle control, traction control, right low beam headlamp works whenever it wants to, the oil/fuel/temp gauge dash lights stopped working, the door dinger is very quiet). 11 error codes were given, some where repetitive codes, but these are what I have: C0561, C0899, C242, P0121, P0300, P1526, P2119, & P2135. It still has the factory battery on it, we were thinking/hoping a new one would solve these issues??? Please help...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GM
1/23/2016
GM Mechanic: tristan, ASE MASTER replied 2 years ago
tristan
tristan, ASE MASTER

A bad battery can definitely calls all of those codes to set, if it is replace it. Also if you are mechanically inclined behind the glove box there is a fuse block at the top of it you'll see a blue and a grey connector if you see them and can remove them look for corrosion if corrosion is found you have a water leak coming in from behind the dashboard shorting out the fuse block. I'd start there or please accept a live phone so I can go over absolutely everything with you. Please give positive rating. Thanks

We replaced the battery Saturday night & it seemed to have cured all problems except gauge lights (temp, fuel, & battery). BUT today (Monday) morning, I'm having everything happen all over again. Engine light remains in after the traction button goes off/on. I don't have a secondary vehicle, nor the $$ for expensive repairs. The way the vehicle has quit in the middle of the road is a very serious problem, especially when I have my family in the car with me. Please help.

Unfortunately there is absolutely no way I can be sure what wrong with your vehicle unless you had a scan tool that can read Live engine data and have fuel system and ignition system testing equipment they're all just absolutely too many things that can go wrong because you'll be able to do this for me to give you a direct answer my best guess would be a module killing your high-speed or low-speed communication network and causing a vehicle to shut down while driving but to all the only way to be sure is to have the vehicle test to confirm things

I plan on going by Oreillys during my lunch break to have them see what codes are showing up & have them to check the charging system. I'll get back with you on the results. Thanks!

Thanks

Oreillys checked codes once again while the engine light was on. Confirmed code was P1516 & pending code was P0300. They were busy & he didn't have time to check the charging system (I can go back & have it done if I need to). I turned the engine off before leaving Oreillys. The engine light was not on, but the airbag light was on (had not been on before).This morning when I cranked the vehicle, the airbag light was on & the display stated "service airbag", I went over a rough spot in the road, it went off & later came back on, this happened several more times. The engine all of a sudden quit in the middle of the road, this time with no warning at all, then the traction control light came on & stabilitrack messages stating that they needed servicing. I waited a few minutes & it cranked back with the service engine light on & it has remained on for 1/2 day. Now tonight the only light on is the airbag with "service airbag" message. What would you suggest checking? My OnStar monthly report shows Stabilitrack ok but shows airbag system has errors & needs to be checked. Do you think the airbag messages would cause all these others?

There is a recall for your truck that may fix the air bad light, take it to a Gm dealer and they'll fix that no charge. The only code is worry about is the p1516 very common have the throttle body replaced with a GM parts and the engine control module reprogrammed. The parts is close to $300 and labor at the dealer is $250 to $350. I'd worry about the p0300 later if it resets. Thanks

tristan
tristan
tristan, ASE MASTER