GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have GMC Jimmy 2000, horn does not work through steering

Customer Question

I have GMC Jimmy 2000, horn does not work through steering wheel button, it works fine from keychain horn button.
Category: GM
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

HI there, I Am Cam. Can I get your first name please?

With your Jimmy, did you do any repairs recently to it? Any additions?

Whats the history of this issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No additions done recently, I took it for Inspection and during that time it was noticed, otherwise I have not used horn for long time --

OK, so this sounds like possible the horn contacts in the steering wheel, or possibly the horn sliding contact in the switch under the wheel. I would try to see if your horn works in any position, meaning hold the horn while turning the wheel to see if that makes it work. IF not then its likely the contacts under the air bag. To remove, turn the wheel first 1/4 one way and then the other. Us a screwdriver as indicated in the first picture. Then carefully remove the air bag connectors. After that you can see the replacement of the horn contact.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to remove battery connections to do this -- Anyway, horn does not work in any position --

yes, remove battery then wait 10 mins to safely work on the system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is the order of doing, first remove battery contacts and then go on doing the removal of horn cover and so on --

Yes, remove battery, wait 10. Get the air bag out, set bag on floor with the bag part up. After that you can connect the battery for testing. The contact in the horn provides a ground path. So if you ground the contact it should male the horn sound. Then when you go to connect the air bag, remove battery again, wait 10 mins then attach bag and power up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for clarifying --

NO problem. Is there more I can get you today?

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. Please rate my answer OK to Excellent service and feel free to ask any follow up questions regarding this issue you may have.
Please know that the only compensation for my time spent assisting you is when you provide that rating.