GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2000 Chevy silverado 1500 5.3L. Have replaced both knock

Customer Question

2000 Chevy silverado 1500 5.3L. Have replaced both knock sensors twice still receiving code p0332. what else could be causing this problem. Engine runs smooth no knocking at all.
Category: GM
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I am Cam. Can I get your first name please?

With the replacement did you replace the connector/pigtail harness under the intake?
Also can you tell me what brand of sensor you installed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** part was ACDelco(###) ###-####. I've also built a silcone dam like then TSB calls for. and yes the pigtail was replaced.

OK, Jake, that is good on both cases. For the install, did you use anything on the threads? Did you clean the bore out after removing the old one? Also what torque did you install the sensor to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing on the threads and we cleaned the bore out as best as we could. torque specs where 15 ft lbs

OK Jake, then if the issue remains, then we need to look to the wiring between the connector at the back of the intake and the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) itself. Please confirm that you did the whole harness and not just the connector end. IF so then check the wiring back to the PCM. A bad wire under the fuse block will also cause this. IF you measure from the PCM connector, what resistance do you get?

Resistance is from pins 11 and 51 of the blue connector. IF you get the back cover off, you will see numbers stamped in the casing to help identify it .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i did the whole harness the picture is added of the harness. give me a minute to get the ohms

Should be nothing wrong with that part then. Check also the reading from the connector at the back of the intake to the ground on each.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you telling me to check the harness to the the block correct?

Yes, check the harness end through the sensor to the block and then from the PCM connector to the block with the connector at the back of the intake plugged in.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
100 Ohms on one side 99.9 on the other for the connector going to the sensors itself check the pcm now

Ok, so lets see what the PCM connector shows.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
100.1 oHms on port 11 and 99.9 oHms on port 57

OK that should be 100K ohms. Spec on this is around 93-105 K ohms so they are in spec. SO that suggests the PCM is faulty internally.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you tell me what model PCM I need and is there any special programming when I switch it out

Considering the PCM must be programmed to your VIN, your best bet is to get it at a part store that will sell a programmed unit, then you would need only need to do a theft relearn.

Turn the key on and attempt to start the car, It may crank, it may start and stall or it may do nothing at all, this is fine, still cycle the key to start then release the key back to run.
Wait 10 minutes with the key in run. The passlock light should be flashing and the DIC will say "Service Vehicle" or "Security" or have a picture of a car with a lock during that 10 minute span.
After 10 minutes has passed, turn off the car, count to 10, and try to start it again and release the key back to run.
Wait another 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, turn car off 10 seconds and try to start again and release the key to run.
Wait another 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes, turn car off 10 seconds and try to start again.
It should start up this time. The passlock has been learned.

During this process, turn the fans off, radio off and cycle the headlights off so the battery will not go dead. If needed, use a battery charger.