GM

GM Repair Problems? Ask GM Repair Expert Now.

GM

Dome light won't turn off on my 2001 Chevy 2500

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GM
10/29/2015
GM Mechanic: Pete, GMC Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, GMC Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help with this today.I need a little more info to assist better.

Is the radio staying on when you turn off the vehicle and then open the drivers door or is it shutting off like it should?

Was anything after market wired in recently or any wiring repairs done at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

No
It's shutting off
I did replace the dome override but the dealership changed the aftermarket switch.
Sometimes it goes off after 10 minutes or sometime it will stay on till the battery dies

O.k.,your vehicles BCM (body control module) powers the Inadvertent power relay and courtesy lamp relay,then in turn these relays energize and turn on and off the dome lamps.Since you have no other electrical issues here I suspect one of these relays are at fault here.The BCM is a common fault as well but usually when the BCM acts up it can cause other issues as well so I suspect one of these relays is at fault.The relays are located in the Body Junction block. This block is located under the dash on the drivers side as seen here https://www.dropbox.com/s/18iciit2989tddo/jb-10-29.gif?dl=0.The relays are labeled as shown here https://www.dropbox.com/s/trezfdobhfoptzl/re-10-29.gif?dl=0.

When this issue occurs try tapping on these relays and if the lights go off when one of them is tapped on then the affected relay needs replaced.This can also be tested with a multi meter to see if for sure one of the relays is the cause or if the BCM is at fault.If you want this info on how to test these here let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Changed BBM and did all of the above.
Is there a dome switch in the door lock assembly
Took it to the dealership they changed the dome override it worked for 1 day

There are dome switch controls as part of the door latch assemblies.The most common one to fail is the drivers door latch itself as it is the door that is used the most.

Could that be the problem?

This is very possible.I have had to replace the latch before for this issue.The way the latch signals are checked is with a scan tool plugged into your vehicle that is one that can communicate with the BCM to view the BCM data signal to see if it shows a door opened when all doors are actually closed.If it shows a door open when it is closed this indicates either the latch is faulty needing replaced or that the wiring from the latch is damaged/broken.The most common area of a wire break is at the door hinge area where it passes from the body to the door.

Thanks Pete

Pete, GMC Technician