GM

GM Repair Problems? Ask GM Repair Expert Now.

GM

Can anyone tell me what the fix is TSB? 2004 gmc yukon xl

Customer Question
Can anyone tell me what...
Can anyone tell me what the fix is for this TSB? 2004 gmc yukon xl 15004l60e/4l65e intermittent neutral condition while accelerating from a stop or while driving. *tt 1999-2006 gm cars, light duty trucks and utilities.
When I select drive or reverse the car will move about 20 feet then its like its in neutral. Turn car off. Restart about 15 mins later and it will do the same thing all over again.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GM
9/30/2015
GM Mechanic: Dave Nova, GMC Technician replied 2 years ago
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician

The fix for this common problem is to replace the transmission pressure control solenoid. This solenoid is located on the valve body. Remove transmission pan to replace the solenoid.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Provide Diagrams, Manuals, or Instructions. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Is there some additional information you need about the suggested repair?

I'm not questioning your answer. But I have to ask. How certain are you. That's the fix.? Only reason I ask is the last 2 times I used This service I was given bad advise.Thanks

I understand that you are wary after having been given incorrect advice. This is a common problem and most of the time replacing the pressure control solenoid will fix the issue. This is something I have experienced and repaired on a personal vehicle, as well as on customer vehicles. If replacing the solenoid does not fix the problem then you have a mechanical issue (pump failure, input clutch failure, etc.) inside the transmission that would require a teardown and rebuild to fix. So replacing the solenoid is the only practical do it yourself type repair that can be attempted.

logically thinking if it were something mechanical it would not work at all. Being that when i start it.it will go into drive and move about 30 ft. Then stop. Like the valve isn't staying open or closed not sure what it does. Would you agree?

Yes, I do agree. The solenoid warms up and loses its effective ability to regulate pressure and the transmission stops pulling. This is what typically happens. After a cool down, it works again for a very short time.

Having a issue getting the solenoid out of the valve body. Removed bolt and clip. Slide solenoid forward it hits on a cover. Do I have to remove the round cover in the corner ?
it does.
Is it ok to remove that ?

Yes, it is okay to remove the accumulator. Just remove the 3 bolts and reinstall it when you are done with the solenoid replacement.

Should I be concerned if there we're about 10 very tiny metal fragments in the bottom of the pan. I just bought the Yukon about two weeks ago. The oil was very very dirty. I've read about people Changing the trans oil and it causing the the trans to fail. Due to the new oil loosens all the dirt and the dirt clogs up something. Are there any additives I should add.

I would not worry about the metal fragments. Changing the fluid should not harm anything. If the old fluid is very old, the solvent in the new fluid can soften seals, potentially causing leakage in the seals. Transmission additives would only add to that problem. I would suggest just using new fluid.

Ok got the new part in. Added oil. Drive it last night worked fine. Drove it today worked fine on my way home going through an intersection some one ran a red light. I stepped on the gas to get out of there wAy and like it felt like it came out of gear and went into neutral. Put it back in drive wouldn't move. Reverse works

If you place the gear selector in Low 1 range, does the vehicle move forward?

No. Only goes backwards
I have a feeling this is the time you tell me to get it rebuilt or buy a rebuilt one.

You are correct. Since you still have reverse, it looks like the pressure control solenoid is doing its job, but something internal had a mechanical failure when you had to quickly accelerate. Unfortunately this is not something that can be fixed externally. You will need to either rebuild or replace the transmission.

You should be able to quickly accelerate shouldn't you.

Yes, you should. There must have been a weak component inside the transmission that gave way when this occurred. It is not the fault of you or the quick acceleration.

Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician