GM

GM Repair Problems? Ask GM Repair Expert Now.

GM

2006 H3 crank no start has fuel has spark fuel pressure 60

Customer Question
no security lights on...
2006 H3 crank no start has fuel has spark fuel pressure 60 no security lights on
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GM
8/26/2015
GM Mechanic: Pete, GMC Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, GMC Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.

Have you checked any fuses to see if any are blown at all?

Do you have a multi meter or test light to test with?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

all fuses and relays good

Is the 60 psi holding while cranking or holding above 55 psi while cranking over the engine?

Do you have a test light or multi meter to test with?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

the 60 psi is holding and while cranking yes have test light

Can you access one of the fuel injector electrical connections and disconnect one of the connectors at all?

O.k.,locate the two wires in the connector.One of the two wires will be pink and this wire should have battery voltage on it (at or near 12 volts) with the key on.The other wire is the ground pulse wire from the PCM (engine computer).If you have power on the pink wire next connect your test light clamp to the positive post on the battery.Then probe the opposite wire in the connector while someone is cranking over the engine and see if your test light blinks rapidly.It may be dim but it should blink rapidly.Let me know what you come up with here.The pink wire is fed power from the INJ fuse #23 in the under hood fuse box.If you have no power at this fuse with the key on let me know.

Thanks Pete

No power to pink but black worried does bliink
Black wire does blink no pink wire power

O.k.,with no power to the pink check the INJ fuse 23 (15 amp fuse) in the under hood fuse box and double check that it has power and that it isn't blown.Test pne of the terminals this fuse plugs into for power with the key on.If the fuse is found blown it needs replaced.If found o.k. let me know if you have power on this fuse at all with the key on.

Thanks Pete

Pink wire no power black does blink when connected to positive battery post

O.k.,did you get my post above on this at all?

Ok sorry pink wire now does power and black does blink

Did you find an issue that was causing no power on the pink wire and does the vehicle now start and run?

The wire on my test light fell off my fault after putting it on the pink has power and black does blink still cranks but to start

O.k.,so when you spray starting fluid into the intake does it run then and stay running at all or while spraying the starting fluid?

Only when spraying as soon as you stop spraying it dies

O.k.,have you checked the fuel for any contamination at all like diesel mixed in with it or any other contaminants like water,etc.?

Drained some fuel out of it and it looks clean and seems ok

How do the spark plugs look are they wet or contaminated at all?

Not sure haven't taken them out

This is definitely an odd issue here since you have fuel,fuel pressure,spark and injector pulses and it runs on starting fluid.

Disconnect the engine coolant temp sensor and see if it starts and runs then and let me know.(this may set a fault code turning on the check engine light with the code needing cleared out with a scan tool after this is done).

One other thing is try holding your foot to the floor on the gas pedal with the key on,then crank over the engine with your foot to the floor on the pedal and see if the engine then starts and runs.If it does release your foot from the pedal immediately.

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Already tried gas pedel trick it did nothing will try temp sensor

O.k.,let me know how this turns out.One other thing if this doesn't work,with the key out try unplugging the mass air flow sensor then turn on the key and see if it starts then and let me know.

Thanks Pete

weird now no fuel I think the safety anti theft kicked on the light is now on the dash. ill have to wait 10-15 min to see if it turns off

Is this no fuel pressure?

yep no pressure now had 60 before
I hate this *^%$ hummer!!

Ok your security system won't disable the fuel pump but a code may have set when the coolant sensor was unplugged which may have disabled the pump.Did you disconnect the coolant sensor yet?

no
I wanted to double check the fuel first then noticed no fuel coming out

Hmm..this is odd.I wonder if you had residual fuel pressure but the main reason the vehicle will not start is because there is no pressure or volume.I have also seen fuel pressure test gauges read incorrectly and all along you may not have had fuel pressure or not enough pressure.The most common cause for a no start on this model here is a weak or faulty fuel pump.To see if the pump is the cause the power and ground will need tested at the pump itself.If you have power and ground (the first two seconds you turn on the key) but no pressure the pump needs replaced.

the fuel pump was working fine I flushed out some gas before the pressure test and the gas was shooting out great and then the test showed 60
this was about an hour ago now no fuel ?
just checked the fuses for the fuel pump OK

Do you hear the fuel pump relay click on at all the first two seconds the key is switched on?

the relay did click
I put the test light to the fuel pump fuse with the ignition on and there is no power to the fuse

O.k.,did you test this fuse for power the first two seconds the key was on as it will only have power the first two seconds then it will have power again when cranking over the engine after a few seconds.

Let me know,thanks Pete

no I did not ill try again now

O.k.,let me know.

tested fuse 3..... turned ignition off waited a few seconds turned on ignition while partner held test light on fuse 3 no light.... cranked engine while he held test light no light on test light... changed fuse and same happened

Let me look at a diagram real quick on this be right back.

O.k.,the fuel pump relay powers the fuel pump fuse.To make sure was it the fuel pump relay that is clicking with the key on?

had my finger on relay felt it click
the light of a car and a lock are still on dash .. I thought the hummer would not start with that light on .... turn on ignition and the engine light is on battery light is on and the key and car light is on

O.k.,remove the relay keeping in mind which way the relay is seated.You will see four terminals this relay plugged into.Test the terminals below to see if you have these signals and let me know.

One terminal should have power at all times key on or off

One should have a ground signal at all times

One should have a power signal only with the key on the first two seconds.

Let me know what you have here.

Thanks Pete

ok

Reply when your ready

what is ground signal at all time? the one did have power with key out the other when ignition turned on not sure about the ground signal

A ground signal all of the time would have ground with the key on or off on one of the terminals.

has ground signal

So to be sure I hear this correctly you have ground all of the time at at one terminal (check two to see if you have ground on two) and power all of the time on one terminal with the key off and then power on another terminal when the key is switched on the first two seconds am I correct?

yep just like you discribe
ground on two

This should then power the fuse up.If you have no power to the fuse at all with the relay installed with the key on the first two seconds but the relay signals are all good this sounds like a fault with the wiring in the under hood fuse box and may be the cause for all of the issues here.I have seen in some cases broken wiring in the under hood fuse panel as well as rodent damage to the wiring cause this.

the truck did sit for a few months and I did notice what appeared to be nuts or type of nest
I blew it away with compressor not thinking to much about it
i don't know why the pump was working fine a couple hours ago though

It may have been movement in the vehicle or under the hood that may have caused a poor wire connection issue.I would check and see if you see any wiring issues needing repaired in the fuse panel area.

Thanks Pete

will check now

O.k.,I won't be on line much longer today but I will wait and see what your response is here.

Thanks Pete

no wires seem damaged at all everything in the truck works fine. radio, lights, onstar etc. checked that number 3 fuse again with test light ...... when turning on ignition held the test light on fuse 3 nothing happened.

Try tapping on the relay and see if this gets power back to your fuel pump again.In some cases the relay can click but it may not engage fully to provide power.Or if you have another same part number relay in the fuse box (make sure it is the same part number) try swapping it out and see if it starts then.

Thanks Pete

nothing same

This is a tough one for me to answer myself here.I will have to see if anyone else here can help more on this and I apologize for that but maybe someone else here has more info to help further on this.I will opt out.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.

Thanks Pete

thanks for the help let me know if there is anything else I can do...... I guess a tow to the dealer is a good idea

Your welcome.With this type of issue on your vehicle here as difficult as it is to fully diagnose from here it may be a good idea to have a repair facility or dealer look into the issue to locate the fault.Then you can decide if you want to repair the fault or allow the repair facility or dealer to repair it.

Thanks Pete

Pete, GMC Technician