Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

7ea code 2013 captiva

Customer Question

7ea code 2013 captiva
Category: GM
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is***** will assist you.
7EA is not a trouble code. Some OBD scanners display this code when it needs more info, such as which component group to check. Your engine light may have come on due to a temporary misread of an engine sensor. If there are no symptoms such as rough idle or misfire. Clear the Check Engine light, and keep an eye on it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've read it can relate to a noise at acceleration which Iam having. Possible flex pipe cracked and it was a soft code , no engine light !
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
a 7e8
Expert:  Randy replied 1 year ago.
Okay, the only codes that will apply on the car will begin with a p. For example p0300
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I owned a transmisson shop for years and know that a code is a code. Yes MOST codes start with a P but I have found info that corelates the problem I'm having with the 7ea and 7e8. Telling me that if you have either code you will experience a noise on acceleration. Which I'm having and why I scaned it in the 1st place. So how do you explain that ? If you can't I would like a refund.
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 1 year ago.

I agree with the previous expert that any trouble code in this whole car is going to be preceded by a letter, and if it's a powertrain trouble code, it is going to begin with letter P.

Low end scan tools/code readers very often confuse the data and give inaccurate information, especially on newer cars as the communication protocols have changed and many older scan tools simply aren't compatible with this newer protocol.

Find a different scan tool or go to your local parts store and see if you can get this code retrieved properly. How are you relating it to a noise on acceleration if the code isn't illuminating the check engine light? Can you verify that this soft code sets as soon as you accelerate?