GM

GM Repair Problems? Ask GM Repair Expert Now.

GM

GM Silverado 2500 hd: I have an 06 dura max throwing a p0087

Customer Question
I have an 06 dura...
I have an 06 dura max throwing a p0087 code. Loss of power towing up hill. Need to shift manually. Running hot
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GM
7/18/2015
GM Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic replied 2 years ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Hi there, I am Cam. Can I get your name please? Can you tell me when you last changed your fuel filter?
2000 miles ago
OK, have you run into any questionable fuel in the last 2000 miles? Did you change it then just because it was due or did you have issues then? Has the last 2000 miles been uneventful with your engine?
2000 miles uneventful. Now towing uphill in the heat having the problem for the first time
Ok, lets start simple. If you pump the plunger on the filter head with the bleeder closed, do you get and fuel leaking anywhere around the filter, bleeder or between the filter and the engine? Also do you have a chip or programming to increase power installed on your truck?
Need to shift manually otherwise or bogs down
Yes, that makes sense, lets deal with the limp mode first.
No leaks. Yes have a chip
Ok, when you installed the chip, did you upgrade any fuel system related parts, namely the fuel pressure relief valve?
Not sure just bought the truck. Chip was installed by previous owner
Ok, then we need to start with that relief valve. It is normally meant as a relief only, but the addition of the chip changes it to a regulator, which can fail and open too early causing lower power and lower fuel rail pressure. When they get hot, the start to open a bit too soon and set this code. There is a cheap solution to this. A shim that will hold the pressure back. Here is a website that sells these shims. http://dmaxstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=93I would like you to try this item first. It will increase the allowable pressure. This valve is simply threaded into the end of the drivers side fuel rail.
How do I get out of limp mode. On highway now. 400 miles to go
Take the battery cables off the battery, hold the ends together for 10 seconds then attach them to the battery and see what happens. This will reset the whole vehicle.
If you have 2 batteries, then remove both and touch only one set.
This will only clear it at the moment. When it fails and drops again, this will set again. Unfortunately there is little way around this issue until it is fixed.
ok I will try the shim. Keep you posted
Thats the place to start. After that there are more diagnostic steps to take. Please bookmark this page so you can easily navigate back to it so we can continue the discussion. This is done by pressing (CTRL D on PC and CMD D on Mac). You can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you rate the site and I will reply.
I noticed the fuel filter is down to 25%. I will change that first. The truck is also using up coolant but I don't see a leak. Could this be related?
The filter minder will change if it thinks there is a low pressure due to restriction. Loosing coolant is an issue, but I doubt related to the limp mode. How fast does it seem to be loosing coolant and on that, have you looked at EVERY part and hose on the engine to see if there is any orange paste/goop/oolant around? Around the top rad hose by the turbo and everything? If you find nothing then take a pop bottle and find the overflow hose that comes off the top of the surge tank and runs down by the air filter. Put that end into the pop bottle and drive. If you are getting coolant in the pop bottle then its likely that you have a head gasket starting to leak.
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic