Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

GM Silverado LTZ: I have a 2012 Chevy Silverado LTZ with the

Customer Question

I have a 2012 Chevy Silverado LTZ with the 6 speed tranny.Tons of issues online with this tranny with not much of a solution except to just get used to it?.
As Im sure you know,it puts you in too high a gear and in too low a gear .
What have you found to be a solution to this or is there no solution?
I did see a company that made an aftermarket module that helped/fixed this but am a little leary about that type of fix.Jordan Grant,Norwalk Ct
Category: GM
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 2 years ago.
The six speed is quirky to get used to, and it does things that I don't like, like excessive engine braking, but it's designed the way it is and is operated via software. Because it's operated via software, you can change the software, but you would need to either invest in and learn how to use tuning equipment ($600-1000 investment, and a steep learning curve) or hire a tuner to tweak on your transmission settings ($400-600 for a good tuning session). That would be the most effective way to get it worked out, as you/your tuner can move things around exactly where you want them, drive the vehicle, and see the results in real time, and adjust again from there.