GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

GM Silverado: 2005 5.3l Silverado. When I'm in stop and go…

Customer Question
2005 5.3l Silverado. When I'm...
2005 5.3l Silverado. When I'm in stop and go traffic with the a/c off the engine temperature begins to climb to about 230*f. If I turn the a/c on the temperature will drop back down just below 210*f. Should'nt it remain at 210*f?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: GM
7/1/2015
GM Mechanic: FIXITMAN, Master Technician replied 3 years ago
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Hello my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me if your model is equipped with an electric fan or an engine driven fan?
Electric fan
Thank you. It sounds like the fan is not coming on when the engine warms up. It comes on when the a/c is turned on. Allow the engine to warm up and see if the fan kicks on. If not then you will need to diagnose the circuit to see if it is a relay or a control issue. Did you plan on fixing this yourself?
Yes I am
Then see if the fan is acting like I mentioned. If the fan is not coming on when the engine gets hot then if you have a voltage meter we can continue.