GM

GM Repair Problems? Ask GM Repair Expert Now.

GM

AC issues, need help troubleshooting to determine what parts

Customer Question
may need to be replaced....
AC issues, need help troubleshooting to determine what parts may need to be replaced.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GM
For the most part, the AC will not blow cold air in the front or the back. Sometimes, it will work for 10 minutes and then cut out. I have charged the system and still no improvement.
6/24/2015
GM Mechanic: Randy, GMC Technician replied 2 years ago
Randy
Randy, GMC Technician
Does the compressor cut of or does the air stop blowing when this happens?
Air continues to blow but it is hot.
okay, that sounds like the compressor is not staying on. Does the ac light on the controls blink or go off when this happens? Can you hear the compressor clutch disengage when this happens?
The light on the controls stays on and I can't tell if the clutch disengages or not.
okay, have you had the obd codes scanned?
Does the check engine light stay on?
Have not had the codes scanned but the Check Engine light is on.
okay, with the check engine light on indicates there is an on board diagnostic code stored in the computers memory. That code will help pinpoint the issue with the ac. It could be an electrical issue like a bad sensor etc...
You can get the codes scanned at most of your local auto parts supply stores like advanced auto and autozone.
ok, I will get the codes checked and let you know what I find.
sounds good. Let me know the code numbers and I can get you the repair info.
Ok, got the codes but none of them are related to AC.
P0161
P0174
P0141
okay, does the engine coolant temperature gauge work normally?
Does it stay in the normal range?
Yes, normal range when driving
okay, open the hood. Then Start the engine.
Place the blower motor switch in the maximum speed position.
Place the A/C request switch in the ON position.
Place the air temperature switch in the coldest position.
Listen for the ac clutch, does the A/C compressor operate normally when the air stops blowing cold?
At the moment, the air is blowing hot all of the time. What am I looking for with the compressor to consider that it is operating normally?
I started the engine and turned on the AC with the fan on full blast. There is an audible difference other than the sound of the blower. The pully on the AC compressor is spinning, if that makes a difference.
Sorry missed an important word... There is no difference in the sound coming from the engine when the AC is or Off, other than the blower motor.
Okay, it sounds like an issue with the compressor. It will be difficult to troubleshoot, the compressor is controlled by several sensors and relays. It will require a diagnostic scan tool to determine the issue.
So off to a repair shop for the diagnostic scan, thanks.
Your welcome.
Randy
Randy
Randy, GMC Technician