GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

GM Suburban: 2003 Chevy Suburban. The parking brake is engaged

Customer Question

2003 Chevy Suburban. The parking brake is engaged even though the parking brake pedal releases back when I pull release lever. When I push it back down there is no tension. Basically cant drive since I can tell it parking brake is engaged
Category: GM
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, I am Cam. So your parking brake went down and won't come back up. For starters, as you know doubt understand, we need to first tell of the parking brake is off. The best way to do that is to put the vehicle in neutral and see if it will rule a little bit. If your parking brake is truly engaged, you will feel a drag immediately. If the parking brake is engaged, but it's entirely possible that your cables are seized. If they are, then we need to manually release the brakes.
If the cables are seized, then I would simply use a set of If the cables are seized, then I would simply use a set of bolt cutters to cut the cables to release the brakes. If there seized still have to be replaced anyway. Truthfully, the shoes are likely not adjusted properly anyway.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can tell it is engaged, even though lever releases. How do I manually release it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is it the cable that is connected to the metal u shaped piece under the dash? Its connected the the parking brake itself and then I see the wire go up into the compartment where it is out of view
Is it the release lever that has no tension?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lever has not tension and the pedal itself has no tension, but brake is definitely engaged. It will go forward but you really need to press the gas to go in reverse.
OK, so the pedal has no tension and the brakes are stuck on. I guess I need to know if the parking brake pedal will at least return up on its own when you hit the release. I understand it won't actually release the brakes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The pedal and the release both work. There is just no tension when pushing down or releasing pedal
Ok, so the cables to the rear are seized as I mentioned. You can cut then. or you can leave it released and go to the brakes on the inside of the axle and use a bar and hammer to try and manually release the brakes. Otherwise we need to cut the cable at the rear to allow the brakes to release.