GM

GM repair problems? Ask a GM repair expert now.

My 40a fuse keeps blowing on my gmc savana

Customer Question
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: GM
5/30/2015
GM Mechanic: Gary, GMC Technician replied 3 years ago
Gary
Gary, GMC Technician
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.
I am sorry for the long wait
which 40 amp fuse is blowing ?
will it only blow when you hold the key to crank ?
when will it blow ?
what year and engine size is this Savana ?
It's a 2001 GMC 5.7 liter and its the ignition 40A fuse next to the battery
Also it blows when I'm driving
the 40 amp fuse is called IGNA ?
It says ignition
Thank you for that information
if that fuse will only blow when driving the van the issue is usually one of the wires off the ignition switch near the mid section of the steering column shorting out and blowing that fuse
since it will not blow when cranking it over that's the area that causes this issue when driving and that fuse blows
its best to remove the lower dash steering column trim panel to visually see the wiring under the column and there should be a pink or white or red wire that usually will be cut and shorting out under that area blowing that fuse
if you can not visually find it then its best to tie wrap those wires to another location basically moving those wires and see if it stops doing this
the odds are it will and by tie wrapping the wiring to a different location so to say will stop the short to ground and that fuse blowing and then with it not blowing the van should be fine