Gary
Gary, GMC Technician
Experience:  15 years gm master tech/15 years ASE master tech
19513769

GM Gmc sonoma: I also have an 03 Sonoma with no AC. The fuses

Customer Question

I also have an 03 Sonoma with no AC. The fuses are goo but when I turn on the AC I do not hear the compressor turn on or see the rpms go up. I am guessing I need to replace the compressor but want to know if there might be something else to look for.
Category: GM
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.
I am sorry for the long wait
if you disconnect the 2 terminal switch on the accumulator passenger side of the fire wall and the engine running with the AC set to on if you jump the 2 terminals with a paper clip or wire in the connector you unplugged will the compressor turn on ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know what that means. Is there a diagram?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is the accumulator the container which hold the freon?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
yes the container on the fire wall the big aluminum part
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, if that works then what? I am working now and will not check this till this afternoon.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
if you can jump that and the compressor will run then either that switch is bad or the system is low on R134 which an evac and vacuum and recharge should correct this issue
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's good to know. I was hoping it was only low gas but did not know that the compressor would not turn on for that reason. Should I just refill the accumulator first or check the switch. I haven't run the AC for a long time.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
see if it runs if you jump the connector
if it does it needs an ac machine connected to the system and the system vacuumed and then refilled to the correct amount of R134 which should be listed on the AC sticker under the hood on the radiator support or a label under the hood
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, sorry about the delay. Thanks for the help.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
anytime
dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer !