Gary
Gary, GMC Technician
Experience:  15 years gm master tech/15 years ASE master tech
19513769

GM camaro: Swapped steering column in 99 camaro and it won't

Customer Question

Swapped steering column in 99 camaro and it won't start now. It will hit but not run if I jump the starter relay. could it be the vats because I am using the key that came with the replacement column?
Category: GM
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.
I am sorry for the long wait
yes that is exactly what is wrong the ohm resistance of the new key v/s the old key is different causing the vatts system to activate
either replace the ignition lock with your old one and use the old key OR measure the resistance of your old key chip and pick up a resistor that's the same ohms as your old key chip and then at the bottom of the column cut the 2 wires that run up to the ignition lock cylinder and strip back the 2 wires that you cut going to the ignition lock cylinder and connect one wire to one end of the resistor and the other cut wire to the other end of the resistor so the resistor is looping so to say those 2 wires and that should bypass the system and start and run fine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you I just read a few thingso and watched videos on the bypass I'm on my way to radio shack now.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
anytime
dont forget to rate us here at Justanswer !