GM

GM Repair Problems? Ask GM Repair Expert Now.

GM

GM envoy Denali: How do I get the plastic housing offthe steering

Customer Question
How do I get the...
How do I get the plastic housing offthe steering wheel I tried a t15 and a tamper proof one too on my 2005 envoy denali my low beams are not working
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GM
5/7/2015
GM Mechanic: Jerry Newton, GMC Technician replied 2 years ago
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, GMC Technician
Are you trying to remove the multifunction switch or what?
Need to replace the handle for turn signal ,brights ,wipers and cruise my low beams went out . I was told to buy this itwas 150 bucks and I cant open up the cover on wheel to replace it .looks like 3 holes and I thought it was a #15 t but even a tamper #15t dont work ???? Can you help me
I a fuse or relay went out it would of been the passenger or drivers side cant see both going at same time plus my brights still work , could it be a relay and where?
You still here?
Yes, I am. Sorry for the delay, I got hung up on the phone. Let me research this for you a bit.
Ok
HDM relay #46 in the underhood fuse block is what controls both low beams. It is energized by the body control module, which controls most of the lighting in this truck. It would be worthwhile to swap this relay with an identical relay in the fuse block (I like to pick the horn relay, if I can, because it's easy to verify that the horn relay is good). If not, I'd be getting a multimeter out to see if the BCM is energizing this relay, or if the other voltages are correct at the relay socket. I will give you a schematic that shows how this works.
I dont see a #46
Denali might be different
Still dont have a #48
I ment #46
My fuse and relay box is different than shown. Also different than my manual ?????? My Relays are 4 numbers like 3412 ,3604,3413 and 8567
Still with me?
Yes, I am. I am talking to a number of people right now, I haven't abandoned you.
Let me look at this layout, the manual did not specify a difference for Denali in that year.
Great
You don't have HID or anything like that for headlamps, right?
Whats that?
Hid?
High Intensity Discharge headlamps.... they are bluish in color.
No
Regardless, the underhood fuse block layout looks like this. Swap 45 and 46 and see if the condition changes.
ok did that twice andthey still dont work
OK, so swapping the relays still resulted in no low beams, it didn't change the symptom to low beams only/no high beams?
No and high beams still work when I pull lever in car
Tried every switch in car too fog lights an blinckers wo r k fine and runnibg lights
OK. I would want to use a test light to see if the BCM is energizing that relay, do you have a test light?
No that s electrical right ?
Yes it is. The BCM simply grounds this relay to make the lights work. If your car were in my shop, I'd be wanting to see if that is taking place. You may have a faulty BCM, which would put this outside the range of a DIY repair, as there is programming necessary to replace a BCM. You might be reaching a point where professional diagnosis is needed before you spend money on something you don't need.
I have the combination switch and how do I get my plastic on the wheel off to replace it?
Once you have removed the screws, the lower half unsnaps from the upper half, and it pulls right off. You also have to remove the tilt lever, I don't know if you have done that already or not. The upper half is held on by two more fasteners that you'll be able to access after you remove the lower half.
I know that but what tool I tried them all look back at my first comment
My service manual does not specify, but my recollection is that these are T20 torx fasteners. Look in there with a flashlight, you'll be able to see the heads of the fasteners. Sometimes there are no fasteners in there at all, and they'll just snap apart. That seems to be more random, I've seen vehicles of the same year/make/model with or without screws in the steering column covers.
Here is the factory procedure, even the factory service manual says it may or may not have screws.
Still need to know what size torx I have tried a #15 ?
I mentioned earlier that my recollection is that it's a T20 Torx bit necessary to remove those screws, IF they are there at all. They may not be.
I have to buy a t20 tommorro and I will let you know if it fits ok
Absolutely nothing has worked so far what you told me I was able to remove the plastic and replaced the switch no t20 or any other t worked I tried them all and my low beam lights still do not work ! Now what ???
We're back to the advice I gave you earlier: we need to remove the relay and see if the BCM is energizing the relay by grounding the appropriate pin. This is what I'd be doing: is the BCM doing what it's supposed to do? The switch you replaced is just an input to the BCM, it doesn't actually control the lighting, and I never advised you to replace it.
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, GMC Technician