GM

GM Jimmy: 1995 GMC Jimmy wont start

My Son's 1995 GMC Jimmy...

My Son's 1995 GMC Jimmy won't start. We've had intermittent trouble turning the key for awhile. Now, when we turn the key it doesn't crank. The battery seems fully charged (replaced the battery within the past 6 months).

I'm no mechanic and don't have any testing equipment. I'm kind of handy and want to save money... Read full answer

I'm no mechanic and don't have any testing equipment. I'm kind of handy and want to save money on this repair.

8/18/2012
Roadside Jerry
Roadside Jerry, GMC Mechanic
Hi, it's not safe to assume anything when diagnosing a problem. Make the battery is fully charged, and that the battery terminal connections are clean and tight. After that, use a test lamp or voltmeter to check for power at the S terminal on the starter as a helper turns the keynote crank position. If you have power,the starter is the problem, if no power is reaching the S terminal,the trigger circuit will need further testing. This would include the ignition switch and neutral safety switch on the trans. You can try tapping on the starter as you helper turns th key this sometimes will get the starter to spin, if so replace the starter.
Roadside Jerry
Roadside Jerry, GMC Mechanic
How did the you do with the starting problem,need any furtther help?

Battery was fully charged and terminal connections tight and clean. I tried to verify the voltage going to the starter, but access is too tight to keep the lead onto the S terminal. I did get the car to start after I tilted the steering column to look for the switches. Again, I'm no mechanic, so I ended up bringing it to the same place that replaced the starter. I trust this mechanic, but was going to attempt it myself to save money. The problem is that I don't have time to learn or tools to do it right.

If you would have been able to connect to the S terminal, you most likely would have found you had no voltage.Since tilting the steering column got the engine to start,the problem is associated with the ignition switch that is mounted on the steering column. It may be the switch itself, an electrical connection, or an adjustment of the switch. If you have the time, let me know what is found,there is no additional charge for your reply back.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
No start. 2000 gmc jimmy. I have a 2000 gmc jimmy crank no
I have a 2000 gmc jimmy crank no start have spark and fuel but no injector pulse… read more
David Craig
David Craig
OWNER/MECHANIC,
Associates
2000 gmc jimmy had alot of fuel leaking out of the fuel pressure
2000 gmc jimmy had alot of fuel leaking out of the fuel pressure regulator causing motor to vapor lock. Got it replaced and it is now turning over but slowly and it will not fire.. what can i do? Any … read more
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GMC Mechanic,
1998 GMC Sonoma: 000 miles..awhile..60 mph..brakes, and doesnt stop
I have a 1998 GMC Sonoma w/ 164,000 miles, auto transmission. Every once in awhile, going 60 mph or thereabouts, the motor, or something I can't identify starts whining loudly, gets louder when I appl… read more
Gary
Gary
GMC Technician,
Stop searching for answers—
1997 blazer: dash lights..start...awhile..garage..No corrosion or rust
I have a 1997 blazer and when I turn key on, I get no dash lights and it won't start.I took it to a mechanic & he changed the main positive cable but it didn't help.Other times I could go in & turn ke… read more
Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Auto Dealership Owner,
The block crank and pistons cam timing chain and gears..intake
i have a 96 jimmy i swapped the motor with a 95 i only used the block crank and pistons cam timing chain and gears from the 95 heads push rods intake and dist. are from the 96 when i try 2 start the m… read more
Mike S.
Mike S.
1997 GMC: ignition key..the ignition switch..locks..next morning
I have a 1997 GMC Jimmy,The ignition key won't turn, it feels like the ignition switch is stuck. This happened a day or two ago and I noticed that the electric locks and various other eletrical items … read more
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench
Owner of LJ Auto Repair 37 years,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
1999 GMC: park..a click and the ignition switch will release the key
I'm haveing problems of turning the key to the off position after putting my 1999 GMC jimmy in park. If I wait for 5 min I'll hear a click and the ignition switch will release the key… read more
GMTechBernard
GMTechBernard
Owner / Technician,
99 gmc: doesnt start..you left it for awhile..fuel pump replaced
Hi, i have a 99 gmc jimmy and it doesn't start. It used to not start, and then if you left it for awhile and tried to start it later it would start, now it doesn't start at all. We have had the fuel p… read more
Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Auto Dealership Owner,
1997 GMC: 20 miles..had o2 sensor code...catalytic converter..muffler
1997 GMC Jimmy - Goes into limp home mode after 15 to 20 miles. Had O2 sensor code. Replaced 4 O2 sensors, catalytic converter, muffler. Now no codes but still goes into limp mode. Can turn ignition s… read more
Automotive Technician,
GMC: Engine stopped but battery light stayed on...ignition cylinder
I could not remove the car key or turn off the ignition. Engine stopped but battery light stayed on. GMC dealer rep stated I need ignition cylinder. Charged me $586.83 but problem not fixed! Now they … read more
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GMC Mechanic,
1999 GMC: 4WD with new battery..Car started yesterday and rand..rain
1999 GMC Jimmy 4Dr 4WD with new battery. Car started yesterday and rand well enough to back out of garage and reposition in the driveway to install rain guards. Car sat for Approximatelt 3 hours befor… read more
Gary
Gary
GMC Technician,
1994 gmc sonoma: parked..it off and 10 minutes later it wouldnt start
1994 gmc sonoma 4.3z I parked for about three hours. I returned to the truck and started it. I turned it off and 10 minutes later it wouldn't start. The engine would turnover but it would'nt fire up. … read more
Automotive Diagnostic Specialist,
General auto certifications
Stop searching for answers—
95 gmc: pedal down to get up a hill I felt/heard a pop..buck..smell
I have a 95 gmc jimmy that I had replaced the CPI on about a month ago. I was driving yesterday and when I put the pedal down to get up a hill I felt/heard a "pop". kind of like a plug misfired then s… read more
JHoop
JHoop
Owner,Technician,
1995 GMC: with under 150,000 miles..trouble getting my truck to turn
I have a 1995 GMC Jimmy with under 150,000 miles. I"m having trouble getting my truck to turn over, when I put the key in the ignition it attempts to start but it never fully turns all the way over.… read more
Mike S.
Mike S.
1997 GMC: 4WD...It is parked, and the key is locked in the ignition
We have a 1997 GMC Jimmy 4WD. It is parked, and the key is locked in the ignition and won't come out. It has no power at all. It has done this before, we replaced the battery, wiring harness, and igni… read more
Matt J
Matt J
Owner of Jones Automotive,
1989 GMC S15 Jimmy: 4.3L..tank fuel pump..keep running..disconnect
I have a 2 door 1989 GMC S15 Jimmy, 4.3L engine, 4WD. Lately after I shut the engine off the in tank fuel pump will keep running and it will not shut off unless I disconnect the battery. The pump will… read more
ZZDaryl
ZZDaryl
Lead Auto Tech,
Some college and advanced training
1996 GMC: SLS..000 miles..havent driven..it wouldnt start
I have a 1996 GMC Jimmy SLS with a little over 100,000 miles on it. I haven't driven it much in the past 2 years as I walk to work. I needed it the other day, got in and it wouldn't start. I jumped it… read more
tklusman3
tklusman3
Owner, operator, master tech,
96 GMC: the electrical diagram the #9 fuse controls the Fuel pump..ecm
I have a 96 GMC jimmy That keeps blowing the #9 fuse every time I turn the key in the on position. According to the electrical diagram the #9 fuse controls the Fuel pump, Fuel relay control, Fuel leve… read more
GM expert tech
GM expert tech
Auto Technician,