Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2001 GMC: wiper motor..reset itself..anti-theft..wont start

My 2001 GMC Jimmy had LOC on radio after having work done yesterday on the wiper motor pulse board. I was told that if I left it "on" for an hour it would reset itself and LOC would be gone from the radio. Instead, now the vehicle appears to be in "total anti-theft mode" because I cannot remove the key and it won't start, click or anything. How do I get the 2001 GMC Jimmy started again and how do I get rid of the LOC on the radio because I bought it used and don't have the anti-theft code for the radio?
Category: GM
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Do you have code for radio? Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No, I don't have a code for the radio because I bought it used a year ago.

The key is stuck in the ignition and it doesn't start, click or anything now.

Thanks!

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Have you checked voltage on battery and cleaned connections? Thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. The battery is fully charged and connections cleaned today.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
I believe your battery is dead or shot. Moniter voltage while trying to start, if it drops below 11v while trying to start this means battery is bad. Let me know how test goes, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So, if I replace the battery, will that get rid of the LOC on the radio too?

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

No, but test battery before replacing. Parts store can perform a load test which will also test battery correctly. Here are instructions to unlock radio once battery issue is taken care of. Let me know if you have any questions, thanks.

http://db.tt/YY5NDdZi

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It looks like I need a 5 digit Dealer code to unlock the radio per the instructions.

Is that correct?

Where do I get the 5 digit Dealer code?

Also, I'm assuming I need to input 5 for GMT after a Dealer code when I get it.

Is that correct?

I'll let you know how it goes with the battery.

Thanks!

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
You will need to do first part of step where you get 3 digit code then have dealer call or you could try to see if they would give it to you without. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You are awesome! I will definitely use this service if I need help again. Thanks for your help!