GM

GM Repair Problems? Ask GM Repair Expert Now.

GM

Small block chev, rear of engine #3970010 pass front #MLO 6800

Small block chev, rear of...
Small block chev, rear of engine #3970010 pass front #MLO6800 what is it ?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/29/2012
ASEMaster35yrs
ASEMaster35yrs, GMC Technician

Hi, glad to be of help. i'm going to need all three identifiers to properly identify this engine. Can you clean off and chalk the id on the right front passenger side just below the head and send a picture of it and post it here? The MLO6800 does not appear to be in the correct order.

Also, can you tell me the date code.

Casting Date
Small block casting date is located on driver side rear of block on flange forward of bellhousing. Big block on the right side of engine above the oil pan rails.

Casting Date Example: E038 - (E = Month, 03 = Day, 8 = Last digit of model year (1978)).

Month: A = Jan, B = Feb, C = Mar, D = Apr, E = May, F = Jun, G = July, H = Aug, I = Sep, J = Oct, K = Nov, L = Dec

Here are the three identifier locations

graphic

For your casting number, here are the possibilities:

Casting number

3970010....302.....69....4...Z-28 Camaro
3970010....327.....69....2...Trucks and industrial
3970010....350...69-80...2 or 4

3970010

302/350

69-79

145-370

car & Truck 2 & 4-Bolt Most common

The closest I can come to the engine ID is

ML

1967

327

air cond.

275

4

F X

ML

1968

327

s h/p

325

4

Chevy II

MO

1968

302

m/t,4 spd

Z28

290

4

Camaro

The engine id on the pad should have 4 numbers prior to the suffix code at the end. The suffix code will be either two or three letters. Anything produced 1970 and later will have three letters. 69 and prior will have two.

If your suffix is ML the engine is a 327ci with 275hp from a 1967 camaro or X body with air conditioning or it could be from a 1968 chevy II SS 327ci with 325hp.

The date code on the engine will verify which one.

ASEMaster35yrs
ASEMaster35yrs, GMC Technician
Drivers side rear of block #2 GM MEXICO ,(###) ###-####Center of block rear isJ. 21. 80., Front pass side of block only has MLO 6800 . Only numbers i can find .Oh yea the needle on the clock is pointing at what looks like an N. Hope you can find out what it is?

Ok, this is a 1981 350ci crate engine made in mexico on October 21, 1980 at noon.

This is an over the counter engine and no way to tell what horsepower but they normally come with 250 or 275hp.

GM dealerships sold replacement engines called "Target master" from the late 80's to early 90's. That's what this is. The MLO6800 is merely a serial number.

A number of crate motors made by GM in Mexico, may have an "M" or "ML" prefix stamped into the front pad of the block followed by a series of numbers which is the serial number of that particular crate replacement motor. You may also see a raised casting on the block or heads of "Hecho en Mexico" which means "Made in Mexico". Many of the new GM crate motors are being made in Mexico. Later model crate engines, sold over the counter by Chevrolet or GM Performance Parts, may have different prefix code identifiers stamped in to the front pad on the block, such as "ZZ3" or three letter codes such as "XXA".

See: http://www.old-cars.org/chevrolet/camaro/chevy-camaro-engine-code-explained.html

ASEMaster35yrs
ASEMaster35yrs, GMC Technician
ASEMaster35yrs
ASEMaster35yrs
ASEMaster35yrs, GMC Technician