GM

GM Repair Problems? Ask GM Repair Expert Now.

GM

air out of new power steering pump? on a 2002 gmc hd2500 diesel

Customer Question
What do you need to...
What do you need to get air out of new power steering pump? on a 2002 gmc hd2500 diesel
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: GM
2/13/2012
GM Mechanic: shawnrbaldwin, GMC Mechanic replied 5 years ago
shawnrbaldwin
shawnrbaldwin, GMC Mechanic

shawnrbaldwin :

hello and welcome to J/A my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today, please remember I am not their so be very detailed. how may I help you?

shawnrbaldwin :

turn the wheel all the way to the right and then all the way to the left. several times if after 5-6 times you still have air it is probably sucking air threw a line that is not all the way tight

Customer:

Its showing a gun to suck out air do I need this?

shawnrbaldwin :

i will pull up alldata directions and post them to be sure

shawnrbaldwin :

I have never used a gun however and 18 years of working on cars and trucks but I will be right back

Customer:

Thanks

shawnrbaldwin :

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE] 2002 GMC Truck K 2500 Truck 4WD V8-6.6L DSL Turbo VIN 1
icon_prd_right_blank.gif
Full Size Image
Power Steering Bleeding
icon_prd_right_blank.gif
Full Size Image
Service and Repair, Procedures

Power Steering System Bleeding

Important:
- Use clean, new power steering fluid type only. See: Maintenance
- Hoses touching the frame, body or engine may cause system noise. Verify that the hoses do not touch any other part of the vehicle.
- Loose connections may not leak, but could allow air into the steering system. Verify that all hose connections are tight.
- Power steering fluid level must be maintained throughout bleed procedure.

1. Fill pump reservoir with fluid to minimum system level, FULL COLD level, or middle of hash mark on cap stick fluid level indicator.

Important: With hydro-boost only, the oil level will appear falsely high if the hydro-boost accumulator is not fully charged. Do not apply the brake pedal with the engine OFF. This will discharge the hydro-boost accumulator.

2. If equipped with hydro-boost, fully charge the hydro-boost accumulator using the following procedure:
2.1Start the engine.
2.2Firmly apply the brake pedal 10-15 times.
2.3Turn the engine OFF.
3. Raise the vehicle until the front wheels are off the ground. See: Vehicle Lifting
4. Key on engine OFF, turn the steering wheel from stop to stop 12 times.
- Vehicle equipped with hydro-boost systems or longer length power steering hoses may require turns up to 15 to 20 stop to stops.
5. Verify power steering fluid level per operation specification. See: Power Steering Fluid
6. Start the engine. Rotate steering wheel from left to right. Check for sign of cavitation or fluid aeration (pump noise/whining).
7. Verify the fluid level. Repeat the bleed procedure, if necessary.

shawnrbaldwin :

was 12 times im sorry

shawnrbaldwin :

hope this helps and answers your question, now or in the future if you have any other questions please feel free to request me.

Customer:

ON the new pump its showing to use a bleeding gun. need to get up to 20 pounds hold for 5 mins. Where would you get this type bleeding gin?

shawnrbaldwin :

auto parts store can order them or mac snap on matco tools have online ordering also

Customer:

So I do need this to get this to work right.

shawnrbaldwin :

no you dont

shawnrbaldwin :

i just posted the directions which is what GM uses from the factory

Customer:

So just do the steps you give me.

shawnrbaldwin :

yes

Customer:

thank you

shawnrbaldwin :

if after you have comopleted those steps the first time you still have cavitation repeat them one more time and make sure your resevoir is full

Customer:

What if I dont have hydo boost

shawnrbaldwin :

then turn the wheel back and forth from stop to stop 12 times

shawnrbaldwin
shawnrbaldwin, GMC Mechanic
shawnrbaldwin
shawnrbaldwin
shawnrbaldwin, GMC Mechanic